Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

broken computer

• Please log in to reply

eezablade

eezablade

• Pip
  • 2 posts
my laptop got dropped and it pretty much bust. I need the stuff off my hrd drive. is there anything I can do?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you can get an external hard drive enclosure from the computer store (make sure to get a 2.5" drive enclosure for laptop hard drives) and then hook up the drive in the enclosure per the manual and then connect it to another computer via USB to get the files off

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
in which way bust, if for example you have no screen, attach an external one, if it is your harddrive then sorry the data is gone but if you replace that harddrive reinstalling the system the computer will work again, if it is the motherboard follow the advice in the previous post, if it is power source see if you can find someone who has the same type laptop charge your battery using their laptop and retrieve your data using that charged battery in your laptop afterwards

eezablade

eezablade

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

in which way bust, if for example you have no screen, attach an external one, if it is your harddrive then sorry the data is gone but if you replace that harddrive reinstalling the system the computer will work again, if it is the motherboard follow the advice in the previous post, if it is power source see if you can find someone who has the same type laptop charge your battery using their laptop and retrieve your data using that charged battery in your laptop afterwards

Hi thanks,
It isn't the screen as I attached it to me whiteboard in the classroom, it's not the battery as the lights are on (but no-one is home), Motherboard Possibly. I'm going to try and copy the hard drive and see if it is rescuable. There are lots of cracks in the casing and the screen looks funny.
It got dropped down the stairs.