Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows Media Player 11 and InterActual do not work - VLC and Media Pl

• Please log in to reply

Curley333

Curley333

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I appreciate your help.

I have undertaken a lot of changes on my computer past 3 weeks. Although I was protected by an AV program, I managed to get infected with multiple viruses and trojans. I did get help from a trained volunteer at another forum to ensure I was free of malware. I also underwent a lot of updates, some drivers, media player, and I installed and utilized CCleaner clean up and registry, as well as DeFraggler. I am sure I haven't listed everything. I have been very busy on this computer. It works super better now except I can't successfully play DVDs anymore. Right before I discovered the trojans and viruses, both DVD players initially gave me a display driver error code, but then it escalated and boots me out when I try to play a video now. This could be the result of the viruses, the multiple crashes I had, the update to WMP11, the registry cleanups, or I don't know, a combination of factors.

I did uninstall Interactual and reinstalled it and it worked. But then I turned around and uninstalled WMP!! and resintalled it and not only did it still not work, but Interactual again did not work. I have since removed Interactual from my computer, as well as Real Player.

I downloaded XP Codec, and WMP11 still did not work. The Media Player Classic that came with XP Codec download runs but it runs choppy. I downloaded VLC and it runs choppy. Music works fine on everything.

I downloaded GSpot for XP but I stil don't know how to use it.

Also, XP Codec had advised I was missing Lead MCMP-MJPEG basic. So, after I downloaded it, I realized I had the updated version on this codec, and that the download wanted money for their codecs, so uninstalled it. Unfortuantely, it removed all the Lead MCMP-MJPEGs codecs that I did have. I tried to do a system restore, but the codecs that I already had still were gone. However, the problems I am having have remained unchagned by this activity. Hopefully this will not cause me new problems.

I realy need to use the videos for academic purposes, and would like to avoid resintallng my system due to the high work I've put into this system past few weeks and that it runs great now (except video, of course).

Any suggestions? :)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Media Player issues are typically solved by un-installing and re-installing.
Does your machine have it's display adaptor installed?
Verify this by right-click My Computer -> Properties -> Hardware -> Device Manager. Do you have a bit at the top "Display Adaptors" with a plus next to it or do you have a yellow question mark next to "Other Devices" that says something like "VGA Controller (VGA Compatible)" or similar?

Curley333

Curley333

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yes, there is a plus sign by display adapters.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Have you uninstalled and reinstalled Media Player?