Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Desktop, Explorer.exe is not recognized

• Please log in to reply

warnert

warnert

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I had some sort of virus and I ran an antivirus and now it seems cleaned out but I still have no desktop. I read that the virus probably messed with my register and moved the explorer.exe so its not found anymore.

I'm able to use the task manager to do some things but I would really like to have my desktop back.

Any help is appreciated. I'm willing to follow any steps you give me.

Thank You,
Travis

Advertisements

n3ko

n3ko

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Do you have your installation disk? If you do:

Press the windows button + R

The run dialog should open.

Type: sfc /scannow and press enter.
*Note the space between "sfc" and the /.

Let it run. If it asks for the install disk, put it in the drive.

If you don't have the install disk, let us know. :)

warnert

warnert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Unfortunately I don't have the install disk, it may be possible to locate but i'm doing this for a friend and actually finding it at their house could be very difficult.

I tried to do what you said anyway and:

1. The run dialog didn't open when I pressed windows + R. But I ran it through the "new task" option in the task manager.

2. It scanned all the way through but it did not ask for the install disk

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal area.

Before you start a new topic click on this link --> Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, Please read before starting a new topic. This will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your OTListIt2 log.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

warnert

warnert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thank You for your help. I started a new topic in the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal section.

Its Titled: "Had Some Sort of Virus, Explorer.exe is Missing"

Thanks again.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Very well :)