Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Takes forever to detect ide drives

• Please log in to reply

Colorblind

Colorblind

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
My computer has just started to drive me nuts the last couple of days.... It starts to search for ide drives and it takes it atleast 5min before it will find my drives...

I have tried and tried to make sense of this but I cannot think of how to fix this problem... Any help would be welcome!

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I assume you mean the hard drive detection at boot up in the POST test?
Can you tell me how many hard drives & optical drives are in the system, whether any of the hard drives are sata or IDE, and what the IDE master/slave jumper configuration is set to for each device?

Colorblind

Colorblind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I am sorry for not being more clear in my question :tazz:

Yes this is during the POST test.

The system has only one Hard Drive(IDE) and a DVD drive as well as a CDRW drive.

The jumpers are set as Hard Drive (master), DVD (master), and the CDRW (slave)

Thanks

Colorblind

Colorblind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
NVM..... I replaced my ide cables with new ones and it fixed the problem :tazz: ;) ;)

Thanks for the help