Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

USB Hubs

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a Belkin F5U 021 4-port hub on my Dell PC running Win XP Pro. There is a card reader working through the hub but even though it is a powered hub it will not support my mouse, printer, scanner, or external hard drive. All these devices are powered themselves so I would like to learn why they will not run through the hub. They work fine plugged into the PC.

My question is should I try a newer/better hub. Do hubs have different power capacities? If yes to either, any recommendations?

also, is it possible that the hub is 1.0 USB rather than 2.0? Would that be the reason the listed devices cannot be used on it?

Comments and suggestions would be appreciated

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Not all USB devices like running through hubs. Some just do not work unless they're plugged directly into the machine. While a USB 2.0 hub would be nice, if the USB ports on the machine are only USB 1.1 it's a pointless investment at this time. I would dare say you'd see the same effects if you were to replace the hub.

Edited by Neil Jones, 17 September 2009 - 03:23 PM.