Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot connect to a network

• Please log in to reply

rynarri

rynarri

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Okay.. my comp is so messed up. So its not connected to a network, but it has a connection to the internet. I don't understand..

When I try to connect to a network it freezes and does absolutely nothing.. and I cannot close the frozen window no matter what I do. For example I open task manager and the green box pops up in the corner, but the actual window never does. Also sometimes my computer works just fine. Just two days ago I was able to go on there and actually get on the internet and my sidebar was working. But today (and other days before this day.. its completely random) I turn it on and my sidebar is working and nothing requiring a network connection opens, nor my internet browser (firefox).

Also it will not log off. I turn the computer off and it never gets past the logging off stage, so then I have to use the button on the front to turn it off.

I don't understand.. I have the internet, but nothing is opening... except maybe the occasional word document. I have no idea how to fix this and none of my computer friends (who know a lot about computers) have no idea whats going on.

Help :/

Advertisements

rynarri

rynarri

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Some new information as I'm discovering the various problems with my computer:

1. I have a typo in my first post. Firefox will not come up when the sidebar is not working. But I have discovered that internet explorer will :) Its absolutely bizarre. Nothing will open, except messenger and some word documents (and of course internet explorer).

2. I really need the use of my media player so i can rip some music I need to use for a project. But when I open it, it encounters an error and freezes. Nothing will close the box. Absolutely nothing. Aside from a shutdown.

3. As I said before its completely random when it works or not.. the sidebar that is. If the sidebar is working firefox will come up. But I am still not connected to a network, nor will it let me get anywhere close to connect to one. The box just freezes.

4. My comp is super laggy. It takes forever to do the simplist stuff and I have around 4 gigs of ram in there. It shouldn't be lagging.. oh and a quad core processor. Yeah, there honestly should not be any lag because my hardrive has like 200 and some-odd gigs free. I don't understand it! Why can't the silly machine just work?

And it still won't log off.. i've just been using the button... :)