Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop vanished! Run system from taskmanager

• Please log in to reply

Rik01

Rik01

• Pip
  • 1 posts
FIRST: I'm only moderately skilled with computers.

Webroot Spyware reported a Generic malware on my system, but, curiously, did not remove it. (Mal\generic-A). Attempted to find the program/file with search. Got nothing. Used regedit and had to keep trimming the info down until I found a .dll (x86.dll) but it seemed connected to another program. Ran Webroot spot check on it -- and Webroot shut down. Blinked and that was it. The icon vanished. Opened program files and clicked on icon and was told I did not have permission to use the program.

Closed regedit after about an hour of searching for the file of the malware or pieces of it.

Went to sysrestore. It cranked up, and did nothing. reported that no changes had been made. Did that several times, each time using a more distant restore spot. Shut down and tried to get into safe mode. Can't do that anymore. Restarted, which took some time, and triggered Spybot S&D. It opened, started scanning and vanished. It refused to open again. Triggered several registry cleaners. All worked. All corrected files. None got the malware. Triggered another virus remover and screen blinked and the desktop vanished. The start menu refused to appear. Found I could run nearly every program -- not related to virus cleaners -- I had -- or could find -- from the task manager. I could even install wallpaper and screen saver, but no desktop icons and no start manager.

Downloaded Superantispyware by a suggestion spotted on another forum concerning malware. It ate up the malware. However, nothing was fixed. Regedit and several programs later, I found the malware file changed to something different, apparently every time when hit. Ran Superantispyware again and cleaned out more. Reloaded Spybot S&D and it ran and cleaned up the mess. Downloaded a fresh version of |Webroot and -- it fails to fully install. Repeatedly. Keeps saying fatal error. Downloaded it several times.

Can't find the directories for SEARCH or RUN. Did discover that all of my system restore files are gone. System is very slow closing. Did a system cleanup -- and no improvement. Those menu boxes, when you click on properties, no longer work.

Dreading that I might have to reformat my HD and reload windows, a process I've never done -- and from reading up on it, seems like it might drive me to drink.

I suspect that the HIDE THE DESKTOP command has been somehow triggered, but I can't get to it. I can't get to the control panel.

Suggestions will be most welcome as I've been pounding my head against the wall for the last 4 days.

NOTE: Read that the virus is self-replicating. Before everything shut down, I found out it apparently also locks out virus programs and alters itself -- which is why I could not find the original file Webroot indicated.

Thanks.Vanished X|P desktop

Advertisements