Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing HD Space

• Please log in to reply

NickH

NickH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
On investigation I find that 9Gb of that 13Gb in programmes are games my daughters are playing - Tomb Raider or some such nonsense! So that leaves 4Gb of programmes, not including Windows which is a further 5Gb or so in its own directory. Do you see any downside to allocating say 30Gb to C: to allow for Programmes, drivers & games etc together, or is it much better to separate up the games?

When I say 'retain the drives', I'm wondering if we can just back them up and put them onto the reformated drive, or is it necessary to load fresh ones? I notice you think they may be contained on the Philips Rescue Disc, but if they are, they'll be older versions I imagine.

Nick

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Do you see any downside to allocating say 30Gb to C: to allow for Programmes, drivers & games etc together, or is it much better to separate up the games?

As I stated before, I may run my computers a little differently than other people. If you think you need 30Gbs then by all means allocate the space. The idea behind partitioning is to get the data off the OS partition so if you can at least do that, you'll be ok. I still can't imagine the sizes you state for Windows and Program files though, but perhaps its due to Media Center. Not sure. If you run Aida32 and view Installed programs, you can list/sort the programs by size. Not all programs will show the size, but it'll give you some idea. Also, the free Spacemonger will show you the exact size of each catagory/folder/program on your computer. Neat application. By all means, allocate what you think you need. You're the user, so, I can only recommend things.

When I say 'retain the drives', I'm wondering if we can just back them up and put them onto the reformated drive, or is it necessary to load fresh ones? I notice you think they may be contained on the Philips Rescue Disc, but if they are, they'll be older versions I imagine.

That's what I thought you meant, but wasn't sure. Yes, back up the drivers so you can install them later. You don't need to download any fresh ones if the ones you have are current. Just back them up on a flash drive or something until you need them.