Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't install O/S on Quad Q9550 cpu and ASUS P5QL m/b

• Please log in to reply

StevieDC

StevieDC

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I have just bought some new kit.

Intel Quad Q9550 cpu,
ASUS P5QL-EM motherboard,
Fatality PC2 6400 DDR2 memory.
Pentium P4 Model M500-U Power Supply Unit.
A 1 Terra byte Samsung Hard drive

At first I (naively) thought I could just plug my old drive containing Windows XP Pro in and all would be fine. I have now been told that Windows doesn't like that (what a surprise!) and a fresh install will be preferable. Especially as I have an OEM version that will not let me move to another motherboard.

I'm probably going to end up putting Windows 7 on the kit but as that isn't released until October 22nd I thoughht I'd put Windows XP on and test it out.

Since then (about a week now) I've been trying to install various different versions of Windows I've got hanging about. They all seem to be failing because they can't find various files during installation. I don't think there is a problem with the DVD reader.

I think the most telling problem is that I have a bootable version of Knoppix that boots fine off an old PC I have but when I put it in the new kit it fails reporting that it 'can't find the Knoppix file system'.

When I put the fan on the cpu I used a good thermal paste but wasn't sure if I had pressed the four buttons far enough. I was vary of damaging the motherboard. The bios reported the cpu as running at about 32 degrees I think so I don't think it's getting hot.

The PSU was hastily bought from PC World. Quite cheap (£30) for a 500W. Could that be playing up?

The memory 'should' be compatible with the board. I bought the m/b and memory from Lambda-tek that has software to determine compatibility (although they do not guarantee it).

I have not been able to figure out how to connect the m/b to get 'beeps'. reading a few previous posts here it looks as though that would be a good idea. I'll try and do that today.

ANY suggestion gratefully received. I haven't got much hair left!!

Advertisements

StevieDC

StevieDC

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok.

Just tried to install XP Pro again (OEM version) and it worked!

Three things different:
* I changed the DVD drive for an older CD Drive.
* I changed the SATA mode in the BIOS from enhanced to compitible
* It's just been turned on so is not too warm

I'll see how it performs during the day.

I'm obviously still nervous that I may have an intermittent problem such as overheating etc.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

The PSU was hastily bought from PC World. Quite cheap (£30) for a 500W. Could that be playing up?

What is the make/model ?

When I put the fan on the cpu I used a good thermal paste but wasn't sure if I had pressed the four buttons far enough. I was vary of damaging the motherboard

I understand this... the Intel heatsinks can be tricky to click on. What paste did you use? It shouldn't matter though since you told your CPU temp in BIOS was 32C... that is good.

I have not been able to figure out how to connect the m/b to get 'beeps'. reading a few previous posts here it looks as though that would be a good idea. I'll try and do that today.

Your case should have come with a case speaker... it plugs into the front panel connectors (on your Q-Connector) in your motherboard.

StevieDC

StevieDC

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks edge2022.

I think it might have been my DVD drive not working in enhanced SATA mode. All 'seems' well now. I might redo the cpu heatsink though.

Thanks for your help.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
All right then!

Weemann

Weemann

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hey guys i have the same problem .... when i try to install windows 7 it hangs at 3% for a very long while( about an hour even longer) and then i get an error 0x8007045D windows cannot find necessary files or it won't start the setup at all claming that a neccesary cd/dvd driver is missing and i should provide it.However windows xp installs flawlessly. My system is as follows dual core 2.4GHz ASUS P5QL-PRO mb, asus nvidia gforce 8800GT 2Gb Ram DDR2 sata hdd ide dvd drive. Any thoughts? thanks in advance

Edited by Weemann, 22 September 2009 - 06:41 PM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
You might want to get a SATA optical drive.
Do you have the install disc for the ide drive?

StevieDC

StevieDC

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

* I changed the DVD drive for an older CD Drive.
* I changed the SATA mode in the BIOS from enhanced to compitible

and I put only one stick of memory in instead of two.

I think that was what sorted mine out.
Good luck.

Weemann

Weemann

• Pip
  • 4 posts
i also changed sata to compatible as for the drive... i only have an LG RW so can't really change with anything...... the drive and disk are both fine as they worked when i installed windows 7 before but with my new motherboard the problems came to life :)

Edited by Weemann, 24 September 2009 - 04:11 AM.

StevieDC

StevieDC

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Memory definitely okay?

Weemann

Weemann

• Pip
  • 4 posts
brand new every thing works as i have win xp installed for a couple of days now and been tested in games multtimedia apps and every thing...i still think it's the mb either the sata emulation or another option i can't figure out

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Try a different Sata port and see if your BIOS detects the drive.

Weemann

Weemann

• Pip
  • 4 posts
strangely it sorted itself :)) apparently 10th is the charm :) thanks alot for the help guys

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
You never know what to expect with computers...
Good to see this solved! :)