Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Odd Booting Problem

• Please log in to reply

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Okay First off, I am using Windows 7 Ultimate RTM. Anyways, I have an interesting issue since I clean installed from RC1 to RTM. The issue is that when booting the system without the Win7 RTM disk in the drive it fails to load with a missing bootmgr file. As soon as the disk is in the drive, and reboot or startup, it will load fine and I am back to work.

So Disk in drive it boots, no disk in drive no boot.

I have tried the windows 7 repair utility and it hasn't fixed the issue yet. On a second hard drive I have some old windows 2003 boot records(and setting that drive to default it tries to load win2003)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
I presume by clean install you ripped all the partitions out (including the "System Reserved" one)?
Sounds like you've just deleted the main partition and installed 7 to that, so the boot manager is looking for something that now doesn't exist.
This doesn't explain why you need the disk though.

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Its on my main system in my specs, No system reserved or anything. Like I said the RC version of windows 7 was loading fine, no cd or anything. Clean installed RTM and bam need my install disk to boot now. I still don't get why it requires it.