Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP installation dilemma

• Please log in to reply

-= Arc =-

-= Arc =-

• PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
So here is how it goes. It was a fine morning when I started my Pc and much to my surprise to find this error message(s) saying "System has recovered from a serious error." and Pc restarts randomly. I felt quite suspicious since there wasn't any crash, BSOD, etc the last time I used the PC until now. Paranoidly, I scan with avast!, Malwarebytes Antimalware, ESET online scanner, Kaspersky Online Scanner and used a HijackThis Log. Nothing was detected. But still PC keeps crashing so I run a checkdisk but did not help either. So, my last resort was to reformat.

I inserted the Windows XP SP2 CD, it was a legit one, and boot from it. Then comes the usual "Setup is inspecting your hardware configuration.". Windows starts copying files when it suddenly stop at one file that I cannot remember except for the letter it begins with, which is "D". I selected retry [ENTER key] and the whole thing continues. The PC restarted and I now while XP is loading, a BSOD appeared. Reboot again and same ting always happen.

Then, I tried to reformat again, the same "Setup is inspecting your hardware configuration." appears but it'll just stop there. The screen will go black/ blank and no blue-screen-with-white-taskbar-at-the-bottom-inspecting-your-hardware appears. OK. Patience is a virtue, I tried again. Same thing, it just go blank. I borrowed my cousins XP CD and same thing happens on whichever of the two drives I put it to.

How could I reformat XP?

Thank you in advance for all the help to come.

NOTE: The CD and DVD drive is not damaged since I could boot in XPRESS Recovery using my Gigabyte CD.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
usually when install hangs during the hardware check or the file copy stage it's because of faulty ram or a faulty hard drive...you've already run chkdsk with no significant improvement so it may not be a drive corruption. it's possible that the hard drive is physically damaged (how old is it?)

please go to Memtest86.com and follow their instructions for downloading memtest, burning it to a bootable CD, and running the software. Run the program for at least 2 passes (can take 45 minutes or more) or leave it running overnight and report any errors that you receive

-= Arc =-

-= Arc =-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
Haha. So glad right now. I am able to solve it!

Thanks for all the help anyway. I did it by:

(1) Downloading a low level format software KillDisk
(2) Burn a bootable ISO of it onto a disc
(3) Boot on it
(4) Erase all the contents of the Hard Drive
(5) Reboot
(6) Reinstall :)

Thank you very much. The Search function of this forum helped.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
when all else fails....start over hehe