Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virtual PC problem....doesn't work properly !

• Please log in to reply

ncool4u

ncool4u

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi friends....

I have got windows vista Home premium 32 bit. But, as usual, some of my engg softwares do not work satisfactorily due to driver problems. So, I installed virtual PC 2007 from microsoft website and installed XP as virtual machine.

The main two problems , that I am facing are:

1) How can I move the data between the vista and xp ?? I wanted to transfer a file from existing vista to the virtual xp, so that I can get that software installed. It's not happening. PLEASE HELP ME THE PROCEDURE TO DO SO.

2) Whenever I connect the pen drive to USB port, It is not detected in virtual PC.i.e XP. So what is the problem ??
How can I make it work ??

Please Help me in solving the problems,as it is very important for me........
Thanking you in advance...

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
1) Install the Virtual Machine Additions. Start a machine up to the desktop and you'll find the Additions on the File menu of Virtual PC.
You can then drag files and stuff from virtual to reality desktop and vice-versa.

2) It won't. The only bit of your computer that's used with Virtual PC is the processor. If you look at Device Manager (in XP on your Virtual PC, Start button -> right-click My Computer -> Properties -> Hardware -> Device Manager) there is no USB listed.

You'll have to drag off anything from the pen drive into your Vista and then drag it into your virtual XP.

ncool4u

ncool4u

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanx a lot ,bro, for helping..

Now it seems that I will have to load XP instead of vista in my laptop. I am using ACER ASPIRE 4736. It comes with company installed vista, so is it posibble that all the hardware devices will work satisfactorily with XP instead of Vista ???

The drivers for XP are not available on ACER website, but available elsewhere on the net. So do u think that Will I face any problem by installing XP ???

Help me...

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
While Acer will not offer XP drivers, if you can get them elsewhere online, then go for it. Make sure you download all the drivers first.

ncool4u

ncool4u

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Ya, I have started downloading already,thanx for that....