Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen at start up

• Please log in to reply

budgoff

budgoff

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I was online and my antivirus software popped up with a warning that I had a backdoor trojan that it found and removed. Then all of a sudden I got the blue screen of death with the following codes 0x00000007B (0xf8994528, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000). It wont boot from disc or go into safe mode. I have too much important data and pics of my kids to just restore this thing. Any suggestions?
Using Windows XP Professional with service pack 3 on a dell optiplex gx150 and bios a06.

Advertisements

n3ko

n3ko

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Hi budgoff, Posted Image

Sounds like a boot file virus. :) Where where you surfing?

Stop 0x7B INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. If it's a boot file virus, you most likely can't even slave the drive to another computer to access the files... yet.

No safe mode, so no system restore from there. Have you tried booting to the last known working configuration? You can also try using a non-destructive system restore. BIOS a06 is a Phoenix BIOS, so I think that's F11 from boot screen.

Try those ans let us know. Also, do you have an XP install disk, or do you have an OEM System Restore disk from Dell?

Edited by n3ko, 18 September 2009 - 01:36 PM.

budgoff

budgoff

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
F11 just gives me a keyboard error on the screen. I have all the discs and one of the restore discs wants a repair floppy, well the floppy wont read anymore. I have another computer just like this one in storage. Should I try the slave thing? Or maybe borrow its floppy drive? I have tried to use my xp disc and it is an upgrade so it wants what it upgraded, so I tried the windows 2000 disc and it too is an upgrade, so thats when I pulled out the operating system reinstallation cd. Are there places to take this thing and have them fix it without loosing my data?

n3ko

n3ko

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Ah, do you do have data on there you don't want to lose?

Well, you have disks, that's good. Also good you have another working computer so you can slave if you need to.

Since this is a result of a very bad infection, and I'm willing to bet it's not only still there but that it dropped peripheral infections on the OS, you should go directly to the Virus, Spyware and Trojan Removal Forum. <-Click the link.

Since the system will not start, you can't go through the steps or give them the logfiles they ask for. So, start a new thread right off. Title it something like "Possible Boot Sector Virus - Cannot Boot After Removal". Tell them everything you said here and link to this thread.

There are ways to look into the disk and hopefully clean and recover it that they can help you with, but only the techs on that board can help you with virus issues.

Once they give you a clean bill of health, if you're still having problems come on back to this thread. :)

Edited by n3ko, 19 September 2009 - 11:24 AM.