Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with character display in Outlook and IE

• Please log in to reply

Elyts

Elyts

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi,

I'm hoping this is the right forum to post this problem to. If not, I would appreciate being directed to the correct one.

I'm having a problem with one of the computers in our office.

The computer is running Windows XP, SP3, and has IE8, and Microsoft Office 2007.
The languages used on the computer are English, Hebrew, and Russian.

The problem is as follows. For the past few weeks, Microsoft Outlook and Internet Explorer have been showing any text that is supposed to appear in Hebrew in Cyrillic characters. The problem only seems to be in those two programs. Chrome and Opera work fine, as do other Office programs such as word.
The problem in Outlook only seems to be with pre-prepared emails that we want to send, and not with emails that have been received. (We have set emails that are sent to potential clients).

I've tried repairing Office, even though I didn't think it was the problem, and it didn't help.
I tried uninstalling the languages, and that didn't help either.
I haven't yet tried repairing Windows (although that's going to be the first thing I do on Monday morning), but I have a feeling that isn't going to work either.

I googled the problem, and haven't yet managed to find anyone else who seems to have had the same problem.

By the way, I'm the person who deals with all computer problems in our office (we don't have a computer technician who understands things more than me, unfortunately), so unfortunately, I'm the one who has to find a solution to the problem.

Hope you guys can help!

Thanks.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
have you installed any updates recently? for office or windows? have you tried remaking one of these pre-prepared emails to see if it works?

Elyts

Elyts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
No updates have been installed on this computer that weren't installed on all the other computers in the office as well.

I haven't tried completely recreating the emails, but after having looked at it again, I noticed that it's not only preprepared emails. There's at least one email in the inbox which was a received email which has the same thing.
Also, that doesn't explain the problem with Internet Explorer.

Wander

Wander

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
Start > Run > Typing in msconfig and press Enter

In the startup tab, can you see that ctfmon.exe is set to start when windows does?

Wander

Wander

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
Go to View > Encoding > Make sure it's Unicode (UTF-8) on IE.

Elyts

Elyts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I checked through CCleaner's Startup options when I was trying to figure out the problem on Friday, and ctfmon.exe is definitely running at startup.

I also disabled a whole bunch of things that didn't need to run at startup, but it still didn't help the problem.

Elyts

Elyts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks, I'll check that first thing on Monday morning, and post back if it worked or not.

Elyts

Elyts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Go to View > Encoding > Make sure it's Unicode (UTF-8) on IE.

Ok, I checked it, and it's on the right encoding. I've found a temporary solution to the email problem, but I really need to figure out a proper solution. I'm being pressured at work to just wipe the whole computer and completely reinstall Windows, which I don't want to do unless there's absolutely no choice.

It's also not an old computer. It was only bought about three months ago.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you could try the SFC file checker in windows...you'll need to have the windows disk handy...there's a chance that a system file has gotten messed with

Do you have a valid XP cd?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below

Start > Run > cmd then type

sfc /scannow (note the space)

Let this run until you get a message saying it is complete.

SFC - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system..