Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Private Network in Office Block

• Please log in to reply

PHP_Adam

PHP_Adam

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello All,

I recently rented a small office in a large office block.
I have my ADSL line into the office and the secure wireless network for my computers, server and iphone to work.

The office block is all networked to each and every office, a old friend in a different office (other end) does not have the internet. So it would be nice to share!
Except I dont want to share my internet with the whole office block!

So all id have to do is an cat5 from adsl router to network point. Then the office block in online :)
Any resolutions? to connect my network yet still hide is except from a select few?

Edited by PHP_Adam, 18 September 2009 - 09:31 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You do realise it will most likely be against the terms and conditions of your internet access to share it with your old friend?
Or is that not what you want to do? Please clarify. What do you mean by "hide except from a select few"?

PHP_Adam

PHP_Adam

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

You do realise it will most likely be against the terms and conditions of your internet access to share it with your old friend?
Or is that not what you want to do? Please clarify. What do you mean by "hide except from a select few"?

I have checked and dont belive its against the T&C. I understand why it could be though.

Their are 30+ offices in the building, these are all networked together.
The office block is new,it is mostly unhabited and the landlord has not organised broadband as of yet and im not sure he will untill its mostly full.

I wish to share my broadband connection this can be done by connecting my router to whole office block network.
Unforunatly im only willing to provide broadband to 1 office out of the 30+ that are networked.

Are you able to provide suggestions on how to do so?

Thanks

Edited by PHP_Adam, 19 September 2009 - 09:18 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
without having a lot more information about how the network is configured in the office building, what equipment is in there, what access you have to that equipment, etc... etc... it's going to be a little difficult to make suggestions

the simplest method would be to run a long ethernet cable from your office to his office and bypass the office building network completely...as long as the run is less than 300' you should be fine

depending on the network that's already in place...and what access you have to it...you could use the prebuilt network to do this as well. after all i'm sure that if the entire office building has some network infrastructure, then it was probably designed to facilitate segregation of the offices (no one wants their neighbor to get into their files and share their internet after all)...i'd say that using this would probably require talking to your landlord and finding out who does the IT stuff for the whole building...they had to have someone set all that stuff up and surely they must have someone on deck to help support it