Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Easy like BASIC?

• Please log in to reply

purpleshooter

purpleshooter

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Dear community, many years ago i learned a little bit of the programming language "BASIC" I created an interactive multiple choice quiz that would buzz the wrong answer or play a particular command if the correct answer was input. I have an 11 year old son that is computer curious. I am looking for a simple program that he can start with and learn some simple programming commands. Be that creating a simple quiz or animation or whatever. He wants to develop video games some day but I'd love to get a simple program that he can start with and see if he really likes it. I am a Mac user so I want something for the Mac platform (Leopard OS X)

Thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Python might be of interest:
http://www.python.org/

Be aware that programming these days is no longer a case of typing in:

10 PRINT "I am bored"
20 GOTO 10

As it would have been under various flavours of BASIC down the years.
These days with total dependence on what's called a GUI or WIMP interface (GUI = Graphical User Interface, WIMP = Windows, Icons, Menus, Pointers), people click on things to get jobs done. You program what happens when a button is pressed, you program what happens when the program crashes, you program how files are used, you program the core logic of the program.

BASIC was something you can pick up the general gist of on a Saturday afternoon. Programming these days you can't do that.

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
I agree with Neal Jones. Python is a great powerful language that is rather easy learn, and not quite as complicated as some higher end languages such as C++. I'm not sure about any software that is designed to "teach" Python, but there are many online resources available for learning Python.

Another option you can consider is Ruby. Like Python, Ruby is a fairly powerful, simple language. Once again there are many online resources available that can be found on Google.

Hope that helps.

-mp

purpleshooter

purpleshooter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Excellent. Thank you mspascal and Neil. I will take a look at the programs you suggested.