Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Setup is restarting...........

• Please log in to reply

ay Lee

ay Lee

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello All,
I've been racking my brain on this for hours...

-I was web surfing and I opened up a site that wanted me to go to another page. Sensing it was a trojan or something, I did not. Guess it didn't matter because it added something that completely slowed my internet down to a standstill.
-On another computer, I read a forum (wish it was this one 1st!) about cleaning the registry and proceeded to delete things that I probably shouldn't have.
-I proceeded to do a restore but a message said it "failed" and nothing had been changed.
- Now nothing was working but I somehow was able to get back to my valuable files and save them into an external HD. WHew!
-I attempted to go into "Safe mode". The screen would scroll then freeze (mid-scroll)and go no further.
-Next i attempted to reinstall my XP home (om my orig. disc.) Everything seemed to be going along fine. It was at the end of the upload when the "setup is restarting...." message came up. I thought it was normal, until nothing else happened.
-Today I wasted hours of trying and reading about similar problems(but not exact posts) with no luck.

I am now on the GeeksToGo doorstep asking for your valued assistance.

If someone would tell me a backflip will solve this...well I'm doing backflips then!!!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Easiest solution since you have all your stuff backed up is to just wipe the machine again.

Boot off your XP CD, press Enter on the first screen, F8 on the second and then at the partition screen delete everything using the keys provided so all you have is "Unallocated Space". You can then just select that, Windows will make a new partition and you can format it. A full format takes time (especially with a huge drive) but it'll yield the best performance.

Follow everything through, product key, time zone when prompted, etc. You should be back at your desktop. You will then need to go to the site of the people who made your computer to get all the drivers for all the bits it hasn't recognised - the newer the computer the less it'll recognise. You may need a second computer to do this. Remember to activate Windows when you're done - Start -> Accessories -> System Tools.

Once done, go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com for security fixes.