Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop overheating while in bios

• Please log in to reply

Xaisho

Xaisho

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Well after my MX7525 bit the dust I inherited a T1625 with some issues.
I got as far as installing Arch on it but it overheated while I was updating some packages.
There is no dust inside it and the fans all work properly but it is still getting really hot. Even while just sitting at the bios screen it acts as if its at 100% cpu usage.
It has a 2ghz Turion X2 with an all coper heatsink.

The only notable thing I can think of is that at one point during its life a spring came loose from one of the battery release sliders and I don't know exactly how it happened but it ended up almost melting a hole through the bottom of the laptop. The spring wasn't near the cpu or gpu so I don't think it really has anything to do with what is going on right now but I thought it was worth mentioning.

I'm at a loss right now as to why it would be getting so hot when everything appears to be intact and working correctly.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I don't run linux, but I do know you would probably have to download some package to speedstep the processor. I don't think linux has this capability natively... although I could be wrong. I believe bios runs the CPU full speed also... at least my Thinkpads do. Does it overheat running Win7?

It could be the CPU heatsink/fan, although clean, has broken away from the CPU, or the compound is bad. You might need to remove the fan/heatsink and reapply compound.

Xaisho

Xaisho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Alright well I did get Windows 7 installed on it. Previously it had vista on it and it wouldn't boot up fully so I just reformatted the entire drive. After having many issues ><
Like for some reason it just decided it wasn't going to boot to cd for like an hour and then it randomly chose to work correctly.
So now that I am in 7 it is running cooler. I need to get another hard drive though because SMART is reporting that it's going to fail.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

So now that I am in 7 it is running cooler.

Yah, if Win7 is fine, then I have to guess its the linux driver missing that caused your overheat problem. You'll probably just need to search around for the driver. I'm sure someone developed it already.

Xaisho

Xaisho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I will probably try a couple different distros and see if any of them have issues. For now I have put in another hard drive and loaded Windows 7 on it too. It is running hotter than I would like right now though but at least it works.

Thanks for the replies.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Check out the thermal grease one of these days... might be worth a look. Also, check to make sure you're running dynamic switching. Don't know where it is on your laptop. Might be in one of the laptops power profile applications... if you loaded it.

Xaisho

Xaisho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Sounds like a good idea I'll get some Arctic Silver 5 when I can and see if it helps any.
I haven't loaded any oem software but I'll see what they have on Gateway's site.