Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

• Please log in to reply

chriscjamison

chriscjamison

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have an Everex StepNote VA4141m notebook that is giving me a headache. The message it gives me at the moment is a Status: 0xc0000098. The file in question is \Windows\system32\drivers\viaide.sys

The 'Info:' for the message states that Windows failed to load because a critical system driver is missing, or corrupt.

I would just run the 'Repair your computer', but I don't have the Vista install disk. I believe that the error came about after I installed some updates to the machine.

Any help that you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by chriscjamison, 18 September 2009 - 08:42 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Repair Your Computer appears when you press F8 just prior to loading Windows. You don't need a disk for it since manufacturers typically bundle all that stuff onto the F8 option.

Switch on as normal, keep pressing F8, select "Repair Your Computer". Amongst the options presented is one called Start-up Repair. Give that a run if you please.