Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dvd ram/r

• Please log in to reply

bobripley

bobripley

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Can a dvd ram/r burn CDs or DVDs?It's a matsushita lf-d311g

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
DVD-RAM also known as a DVD Writer. Yes it'll burn CDs and DVDs.

bobripley

bobripley

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
i installed it last night.i cant get it to burn anything.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

DVD-RAM also known as a DVD Writer.

Not exactly. DVD-RAM defines the "media" (the actual blank disks) the data is stored on. Other "write" formats include DVD-RW and DVD+RW. The hardware device designed to write to DVDs is the "DVD writer" and it may or may not be able to write to, or burn DVD-RAM disks, but most likely will be able to read them.

It seems since Panasonic acquired Matshushita, documentation (and drivers) for Matshushita products has become non-existent - or at least I can't find any. That said I don't recall seeing a DVD burner that did not also support burning CDs - as long as the OS supported it. But we don't now what OS you are using. And what drivers are you using?

bobripley

bobripley

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Im using xp pro I wouldn't know what to tell you about the drivers.Although I did try to update them.I replaced my CD drive with the dvd ram/R because I didnt have a IDE cable or the other cables to go with it.I noticed today that the ide cable has a extra piece in the middle so dose that mean I hooked it up wrong?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Well, you would need drivers to burn. XP knows how to read, but writing usually takes specific drivers. IDE controllers can support 2 devices on the same cable, so the extra connector in the middle is for a second drive. If you can read data from a disk in that drive, it is connected properly.