Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to repair windows ME with XP upgrade

• Please log in to reply

gsd3861

gsd3861

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a 10 year old Dell with Windows ME with the XP upgrade and I had a virus from malware which I finally got it removed but it messed up some of the windows programs such as can't disk defrag or install new hardware & can't find any sound. I would like to do a repair but was wondering if you can do it with Windows ME with XP upgrade installed. I would rather not reformat but will if I have to. I do have a full version of XP but wasn't sure if that would work since it has different OEM numbers. Any Ideas? I have both ME and the XP upgragde disks also Thanks Gary

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The XP Upgrade is separate from ME.
You can repair an XP installation with it providing you use the licence code in its packaging. Upgrade keys only work with upgrade discs.

If you want to wipe the machine with the XP Upgrade disk you can. It should see the existing installation, but if not you'd need to show it an OEM CD from a previous version of Windows - anything from Windows 95 onwards.