Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black Screen of Death (wait, what?!)

• Please log in to reply

CypherZ

CypherZ

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Vista won't start properly on my laptop.

This happened after my brother accidentally hit the switch for the electricity in our room. I was in the middle of something then and thought that everything would boot up just fine after I turned my computer back on. But after the welcome screen, whenever my laptop automatically logs in to my profile, all I'd be treated to is a blank screen and a movable cursor. What happened? Did one/some of the system32 files get corrupted when the power got cut off?

I can go into safe mode whenever I start the computer back up, but all this has afforded me is the chance to duck out of my profile with a ctrl+alt+del and see a bunch of options that probably wouldn't help at all. There's task manager, but clicking on that does NOT cause it to pop up in the middle of that black screen. And that's only half the time.

I can also go into safe mode with the command prompt turned on (though this too is hit or miss). I suspect this is my first step towards fixing the problem but I remember nothing from my childhood days with DoS.

If anyone can help me, much thanks in advance.

Advertisements