Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

RAM not detected

• Please log in to reply

sagar13

sagar13

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
So, thought of upgrading my PC a lil bit. Originally I had only 1G RAM, so i bought 2G more...
I put the RAM in the slot such that 1st slot contains 1G RAM and the 2nd slot contains 2G RAM, but as it turns out, my PC only recognizes one RAM at a time. My Computer properties shows RAM = 2G. So i tried a couple of things...

I emptied both the slots
1. I inserted 1G RAM in slot 1....My Computer properties shows RAM = 1G. (slot 2 empty)
2. I inserted 1G RAM in slot 2....My Computer properties shows RAM = 1G. (slot 1 empty)
Then I took out the 1G RAM
3. I inserted 2G RAM in slot 1....My Computer properties shows RAM = 2G. (slot 2 empty)
4. I inserted 2G RAM in slot 2....My Computer properties shows RAM = 2G. (slot 1 empty)

5.Now I put both the RAMs..1G RAM in slot 1 and 2G RAM in slot 2...My Computer properties shows RAM = 2G.
6.Again I put both the RAMs..1G RAM in slot 2 and 2G RAM in slot 1...My Computer properties shows RAM = 2G.

BIOS wont recognize both RAMs together either...What is the problem then??

but there is this tiny utility: CPU-Z...that shows info about the PC. It recognizes the RAM in both the slots...

I am attaching some screen shots....please tell me what is actually the problem?? Why isn't it showing RAM = 3G??

I have Windows XP Professional sp3

2009_09_20_024520.jpg
2009_09_20_024533.jpg
2009_09_20_024505.jpg
2009_09_20_024557.jpg

Advertisements

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
What is the make and model of your Motherboard? It may only support 2 Gigs..

sagar13

sagar13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
well no, my motherboard also detected 1G RAM when plugged in without the 2G RAM. But when i plug in both RAMs, it only shows 2G and not 3G....uugghhhh

and how can i find the make and model of my motherboard?

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Still need the make and model of your mother board. It may support single channel and the ram you put in may be dual channel, thus is a possible reason why it is only seeing 2gb (1gb and 1/2 2gb stick)

But no one can confirm that without make and model of your motherboard and the new ram you put in.

Jon

sagar13

sagar13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I got this:

2009_09_20_231056.jpg

...does this help?

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts

well no, my motherboard also detected 1G RAM when plugged in without the 2G RAM. But when i plug in both RAMs, it only shows 2G and not 3G....uugghhhh

That's not quite what I meant. Motherboards have limits on the total amount of RAM it can hold.

...does this help?

Errm... I'm having trouble getting specifics on this board..Could you tell me the Make and Model of your computer? (Like is it a dell or HP etc...and the model number)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello sagar13...

From your board's spec sheet at HP: Specifications

* Single-channel memory architecture
* 2 x 240-pin DIMM sockets support unbuffered non-ECC 400/533 MHZ DDR2 memory modules
* Maximum HP/Compaq approved memory is 2 GB

wannabe1

sagar13

sagar13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
well chek this link: (check out the Note under "Installing memory" heading")

It says i can upgrade RAM upto 3.3G...thats y i bought a 2 Gig RAM, i checked this page before buying it!!

http://h10025.www1.h...product=1845591

Scroll down the link above and u'll see that my PC would support max 8 Gigs for 64 bit windows.

2009_09_21_022132.jpg

Now please tell me, did i check the wrong page?

Edited by sagar13, 20 September 2009 - 02:55 PM.

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts

Scroll down the link above and u'll see that my PC would support max 8 Gigs for 64 bit windows.

I'm afraid that they are not talking specifically about your PC, but only about the different editions of Vista and the amounts of RAM each can support. And that assumes that the motherboard used can support it.

It says i can upgrade RAM upto 3.3G.

Actually, they are only informing you that all 32-bit OS's and 32-bit hardware can only see 3.3 Gigs of RAM....

So technically yes, your operating system can support 3.3 Gigs of RAM. Unfortunately, your motherboard doesn't.

Here is the LINK to the motherboards manufacturer. You'll notice that they state a 2 Gig maximum...

sagar13

sagar13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
oh ok. well thank you everybody for taking out time and helping me. You people are great, thanks.
Just 1 more thing: I wanted to upgrade my windows to the W7....but i think 2G RAM wont be enough for it. So is there any method/hardware i need to purchase to increase the RAM on my PC?

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
I did some researching, and there are people who are running Win7 fine with only 2 Gigs. However, some also had Dual-Core processors. I'm not sure how it would work with your Pentium 4. After reading a bit more I think you should be able to run it, just don't expect to set any speed records..

So paraphrased,

I'm not 100% on how Win7 would run, maybe, maybe not...Google is your friend.

If you wanted to increase the amount of RAM you can hold, then you would need a new motherboard. Personally, I would upgrade the processor to a dual core...

Edited by Cold Titanium, 20 September 2009 - 06:19 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

oh ok. well thank you everybody for taking out time and helping me. You people are great, thanks.
Just 1 more thing: I wanted to upgrade my windows to the W7....but i think 2G RAM wont be enough for it. So is there any method/hardware i need to purchase to increase the RAM on my PC?

Windows 7 works fine on 2Gg of memory. You don't need to feed it obscene amounts of memory like you (sometimes ) had to do with Vista.
Please remember that Windows 7 is effectively Vista Mark II and a lot better to boot.
It is possible to run Windows 7 on as low memory as 128Mb. Yeah it'll take all day to do anything but it'd run.

To add extra memory capacity to your machine you'd need to replace the board. You may also want to consider replacing the processor too.

sagar13

sagar13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Okk...that was so nice of u ppl.

thank u Cold Titanium for the personal advice
and Thank u Neil for that...I'll try installing W7 and if am not satisfied, I'll revert back!!

Regards
Sagar13