Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Enigma

• Please log in to reply

Mendokusei

Mendokusei

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I’m running Gigabyte GA-k8npro-sli motherboard
AMD Athlon™ 64 processor 3200+
Windows XP SP2
2 Gigs of Kingston dual channel ram DDR 400
NVIDIA Geforce 6600 GT
MAXTOR 6L250R0 250 gigs ATA. Ancient technology I know,
However I recently decided to take advantage of the dual sli’s and installed
A 2nd Gefroce 6600 GT which involved having to switch the SLI switch chip module to SLI mode, upon attempting to flip the switch chip module to SLI mode I realized that it’s already been in SLI mode by default all this time. Afterwards connected the SLI bridge Connector and started up the computer normally, however this is where the problem began and that’s that when it tries to boot into normal mode it will quickly flash a BSOD before even displaying the windows loading screen and restart itself. To view what the BSOD error was I had to record a video on my blackberry and single in on that one frame to discover the error was a machine check exception 0x0000009C. However despite these issues I am still able to access my hard drive perfectly in safe mode and have conducted a plentiful amount of tests. Amongst these included taking the 2nd video card and running it like the way it was, no luck, switched both cards in and out in different PCI-E slots once again no such luck. Tested the video card, hard drive, ram, cd/dvd rom and ribbon cables in another machine and they all work fine no issues what so ever. My friend and I even tried reformatting the hard drive on the faulty system and it will freeze on the “Windows is starting up” screen. Any raid controllers in the bios are disabled also as I’ve had experiences in the past with that option causing similar problems but nothing seems to work this time. The only other thing I can think of is the motherboard but what is a true enigma too me is how I am able to access even safe mode if the motherboard is causing the issues and all other hardware works. In fact I’m composing this thread via Safe mode at this moment I am hoping someone can point in the right direction before I do anything rash diagnosing the motherboard as the issue and buying a new system. Thank you very much for your time.

Advertisements