Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows errors

• Please log in to reply

RussAz

RussAz

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
My computer has been running strangely for the last 2 weeks previously there was an issue in which it was stuck in sort of reboot cycle but thankfully geekstogo was able to help me fix that. However new problems have arisen (perhaps related) lately I haven't been able to run many applications programs wont open and errors from windows will pop up. Closing other programs seems to help the issue making it seem like some sort of memory issue but I have never had any issues with my computers memory and no new large programs have been added. additionally programs have not been displaying there normal icons on my desktop (not all but some) and instead only show the generic windows icon. The last message I got that I was able to write down said the following:

The application of DLL C:\windows\system32\USP10.dll is not a valid windows image. Please check this against you installation diskette.

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks as always!

Advertisements

RussAz

RussAz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
BUMP

n3ko

n3ko

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Several searches report this as an infection that was not completely removed, or an incompletely uninstalled program.

I'd do two things, were it my comp.

1) Start->Run-> sfc /scannow (if you have a windows disk, in case it's just a missing or corrupted system file)

No windows disk or sfc fixes nothing, go to the Virus, Spyware and Trojan Removal Forum, do everything in This Thread, then start a new thread with the asked for scan logs and a description of what's happening. :)

Edited by n3ko, 23 September 2009 - 08:07 PM.

RussAz

RussAz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I got a blue screen error so I ran the blue screen program here are the results:

==================================================
Dump File : Mini092009-01.dmp
Crash Time : 9/23/2009 12:21:34 AM
Bug Check String : FAT_FILE_SYSTEM
Bug Check Code : 0x00000023
Parameter 1 : 0x000e0100
Parameter 2 : 0xaa2577f0
Parameter 3 : 0xaa2574ec
Parameter 4 : 0x8052bca6
Caused By Driver : Fastfat.SYS
Caused By Address : Fastfat.SYS+a50
File Description : Fast FAT File System Driver
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
Processor : 32-bit
==================================================

n3ko

n3ko

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Hi Russ,

Actually, having read over your prior thread, that wasn't all that long ago. A week at most since this thread. This may still be the same issue or related. I really think you should go back to that last thread and let Broni and rshaffer know what's happening, since they'll probably have a better idea of if this is really related and what's going on.

However, as an educated guess (I've not seen a Win2000 system in a very long time :)) your hard drive may be on the way out.

That stop error revolves around a failure in the drive itself, or in the filesystem. If it were the system, in most cases the sfc should have fixed it. You can try and run it again from safe mode and see if that makes a difference, but considering you got this blue screen while you were trying to run it...

Try downloading the correct drive diagnostic for your hard drive, unzipping it if necessary, then creating a bootable disk from it. Boot from the disk and run the diagnostic.

Instructions courtesy of (and thanks to) Broni:

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

Really should go back to your old thread and let them know about this though. Link to this thread may also be helpful. :)