Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 Copy Not Genuine

• Please log in to reply

Statue

Statue

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I downloaded a copy of Windows 7 Professional 64-bit from MSDNAA and a key for it. I installed it on my laptop and on my desktop, using the same key for both installations. Now, when my laptop boots, I have a severely crippled version of Windows 7 that has the following message in the bottom right corner of the desktop:
Windows 7
Build 7600
This copy of Windows is not genuine

I read somewhere that I could use the same MSDNAA key for two installations, but maybe that was false. The other possible issue may be that I recently shuffled partitions around on my hard drive using GParted, leading to Windows being unable to boot and the use of recovery tools to correct filesystem errors, edit the boot manager, repair the MBR, among other things. My Windows 7 partition survived this, as I can boot into it and all my data is there, but maybe "something happened".

It doesn't ask me to call Microsoft, or to reactivate it, or to download some tool to validate it, or to do anything else, for that matter. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to convince it that it is, in fact, a genuine copy of Windows.

I also have a MSDNAA key for Windows 7 32-bit, and I read somewhere that I can use it for a Windows 7 64-bit installation. Is this true, and do you think doing this would fix my problem? (However, I don't know how to enter a new key.)

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
For support regarding your institution’s ELMS server or downloads, contact your department or your department’s MSDNAA administrator directly.

For product support, please visit http://support.microsoft.com.

[email protected]

I couldn't find any information on msdnaa.net website. I would suggest that you send them email to the above address. From Experience, they are pretty good at getting back to you regarding this.

Statue

Statue

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Everyone told me to ask someone else, in circles even, so I found out nothing. Eight installations of Windows 7 later, I have one computer using the 64-bit key and the other using the 32-bit key, but both are running 64-bit Windows 7. No problems so far.

lodzger

lodzger

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello and can someone help me please.

I am running W7 Professional and recently received the message "Windows 7 Build 7600 This copy of Windows is not genuine"

I successfully uninstalled Windows Update KB971033 and re-booted, however, the watermark message still appears (bottom right corner) as well as constant Windows messages.

BTW, this is a genuine Windows 7 OS, I had to re-load it.

Thanks in advance

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
lodzger-

Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go!

Please start a new thread in the appropriate forum. A forum member will be along to help you.

pattym

pattym

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have the same problem with Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit. It worked fine for a while, thene I started getting the popup saying that the copy of Windows I was running might not be genuine and that I should validate it by clicking on the link provided in the message. That link took me to Microsoft's validation sight. The validation process was performed and I was told my copy was not genuine and that I should consider purchasing another copy of Windows. While I purchased my copy at Wal-Mart, it is the real deal and I refuse to spend another $100 plus dollars! I talked to one of my tech people at work and they seemd to think that the problem is in one of the updates from Windows. Since that made a little sense to me, I did a system restore to a point before I started getting that error. Within a month, all the updates caught up and the popups started again. Since I don't know what update caused the problem, I can't remove it. At various times over the past 2 weeks, I have spent over 5 hours on the phone with Microsoft support, letting them take control of my computer and doing the exact same things I did. Re-entering the Product Key after they proved to themselves that I wasn't crazy. They are convinced that this problem doesn't exist. I downloaded Windows Live Onecare Safety scanner, and it also put my computer through the validation process. It came back as valid. I've come to the uneducated conclusion (I'm between novice and intermediate in computer knowledge) that there possibly is a registry error on my computer which I have no clue how to fix. I am still able to get all the Windows security updates, etc., so this is not affecting the running of my computer. It's a problem that Microsoft seems to be willing to ignore.

I downloaded a copy of Windows 7 Professional 64-bit from MSDNAA and a key for it. I installed it on my laptop and on my desktop, using the same key for both installations. Now, when my laptop boots, I have a severely crippled version of Windows 7 that has the following message in the bottom right corner of the desktop:
Windows 7
Build 7600
This copy of Windows is not genuine

I read somewhere that I could use the same MSDNAA key for two installations, but maybe that was false. The other possible issue may be that I recently shuffled partitions around on my hard drive using GParted, leading to Windows being unable to boot and the use of recovery tools to correct filesystem errors, edit the boot manager, repair the MBR, among other things. My Windows 7 partition survived this, as I can boot into it and all my data is there, but maybe "something happened".

It doesn't ask me to call Microsoft, or to reactivate it, or to download some tool to validate it, or to do anything else, for that matter. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to convince it that it is, in fact, a genuine copy of Windows.

I also have a MSDNAA key for Windows 7 32-bit, and I read somewhere that I can use it for a Windows 7 64-bit installation. Is this true, and do you think doing this would fix my problem? (However, I don't know how to enter a new key.)