Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

bluetooth keyboard or wireless?

• Please log in to reply

demirkol

demirkol

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
I was planning to buy a keyboard but i dont know which one to go for.

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons please.

thanks in advance

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Don't let anyone tell you what keyboard to get. The keyboard and mouse are your interfaces to the computer and as such, they must "feel" right to you, not someone else. So I urge you to go to your big local electronics stores and touch and feel for yourself. You may like the curved "wavy" ergonomic keyboards, you may not. You may like the keys to have a long throw, or a short, a springy feel or a spongy feel. There are big keyboards that take up lots of desktop, and slim line boards that leave room on the keyboard tray for the mouse.

Some keyboards have many extra programmable buttons for common tasks (starting your browser, volume, search, My Computer, etc.) some only the standard alphanumeric and normal computer "control" keys.

Wired boards typically use USB connectors (and come with PS/2 adapters) and their big advantage is they don't suffer from interference or battery failure. Wireless boards allow you more freedom of movement and keyboard placement, but cost more. If you decide on a wireless, don't get a budget model. The two major keyboard makers are Microsoft and Logitech.

demirkol

demirkol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
I was planning to buy a Microsoft Bluetooth Elite keyboard so i like the feel of it but i dont know if i should buy a bluetooth or wireless one

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Bluetooth is wireless too, but very low power RF (radio frequency), meaning very limited range, and more susceptible to interference. This is not normally a problem if they keyboard and BT transceiver are in close proximity to each other - at the computer desk. Wireless, using light or RF (other than BT), allows you to sit across the room and work. Light forces you to keep the keyboard pointing at the transceiver, RF is omni-directional.