Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory Upgrade

• Please log in to reply

Gregg123

Gregg123

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
I am going to upgrade the RAM on my laptop, I have bought the modules and I have a guide of how to replace it.

All I want to know is when I remove the old RAM will I lose any information.

Do you think I can do this (my knowledge is very limited!!) or should I seek help?

Cheers

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
RAM is probably the easiest thing to replace in a laptop or a computer. I think you should be capable of doing this. It is also the most cost efficient way of increasing the speed of your computer -- mainly noticeable when having multiple programs open.

You will not lose any data when replacing the RAM. RAM stands for Random Access Memory, and it is wiped clean every time you restart your computer. One reason things run a bit smoother after a restart.

Some advice I want to offer you is that the little tabs that help hold the RAM in the laptop can be a little weak or cheap. So be very careful when you have to pull them apart to get the RAM out. When you pull on them, the RAM should sort of flip up at a 45 degree angle, that's normal. Then just pull the module out. You will insert the RAM the same way, insert at a 45 degree angle and then push down to "snap" them into the delicate plastic tabs I just told you about.

Also, after you install the RAM you want to make sure it is running at the correct speed. I recommend you download and install a simple utility called CPU-Z. You can find it in my signature. Open it up, click on the Memory Tab. In the top box(or somewhere near the top) there should be a box labeled DRAM. What is the frequency say? 533mhz? 400mhz? Etc, Etc. Double that amount, does it equal what you bought? i.e. It says 533mhz so this is correct since I bought RAM rated to run at 1066mhz speed. See?

Are you sure you have bought compatible RAM? You can list the name and model of your computer and I can help you if you are unsure. I can also help you find out what speed RAM you bought if you are unsure.

Let me know, and good luck! :) Ask questions if need be.

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
You shouldn't lose anything....

Does the guide state that you may have to go into the BIOS and save the new settings? You should be able to do this, as it is usually pretty simple.

Edit: Woops, didn't see Ferrari...

Edited by Cold Titanium, 20 September 2009 - 08:53 AM.