Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hiding Admin Folders from Guest account

• Please log in to reply

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Hello everyone,

This may sound trivial, and I am a bit embarrassed to admit I need help, but here goes.

I have a laptop with Windows XP Pro and I have been taking it to places where I need to allow other people to have access to it. I figured that I could just enable the Guest account and they could do go nuts, but I have realized that the Guest account has access to the files of my password-protected administrator account. It is read-only access, but still access nonetheless.

I have one folder where I keep all my important documents and would like to be able to make this folder completely inaccessible (and hidden, if possible) to Guest. I couldn't care less about the other folders' permissions.

When I look at the permissions of the folder it says:
drwx------
...which is really confusing to me because it looks like a directory with full OWNER privileges. But since it has read-only access with other user accounts (i.e. Guest), shouldn't it look something like this?
drwxr--r--

I've tried the Microsoft website and also tried to Google it, but I mostly found solutions that weren't free or advice that doesn't help (one guy suggested changing the folder icon to blank and erasing the name of the folder... :))

I just want to make the folder inaccessible (preferably, hidden) from Guest. Sounds easy, but I'm stumped. :)

Any ideas?

*EDIT: I forgot to mention that I also tried to check the "Hidden" box in the Folder Properties. This is actually the effect I want, but this isn't a solution since the user can just change the Folder Options in Control Panel, or just access it through the terminal.

Edited by UV_Power, 20 September 2009 - 04:10 PM.

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
If your files are in the Admin's Documents folder, it should say access is denied and be completely inaccessible.

UV_Power

UV_Power

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Yes, you are right. And that is one possible solution that I will highly consider.

But, I like to have a folder closer to the root of the C:\ Drive to store my documents. In other words, I prefer this:

C:\MyDocs

over this:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents

Is there a way I could have any ambiguous folder act the way the "My Documents" folder does? Or is it understood that anything you want off limits should just be moved to "My Documents"?

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Turn off simple file sharing under folder options. Then, right click the folder, properties, and goto the security tab. Give the Administrator full access. Done.

UV_Power

UV_Power

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
I did what you said and now the folder is inaccessible to Guest. I changed the the permissions of the Users group, but now my own account cannot access the folder. In the Security tab, I see four groups (Administrators, CREATOR, SYSTEM, and Users) and one user (which I will call "my account"). I know that <my account> is an Administrator account and I gave the Administrator group full access.

I don't have much experience with Groups, Users, and permissions. I will try to read up on that now. But, in the mean time I have a few questions:

Why would an Administrator account be affected if I deny access to the Users Group? Is there a different way to specifically deny access to the Guest account? Shouldn't the Guest account be listed as a user under the Security tab?

Edited by UV_Power, 21 September 2009 - 04:51 PM.

UV_Power

UV_Power

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
OK, after a bit of research, I figured it out.

Under the Security Tab, I just needed to Add "Guest" as a user. Once "Guest" was listed, I could make all the custom permissions that I want.

Thanks for your help, diabillic. :)

This is really all I need, but if someone knows of a way to make the folder completely hidden from Guest (i.e. so they can't even click on it to tell them "Access is denied"), I would like to hear about it. As mentioned above, just clicking the "Hidden" box in Folder Properties isn't a solution.

Edited by UV_Power, 21 September 2009 - 05:13 PM.