Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GO Computer OS

• Please log in to reply

TerryN001

TerryN001

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Clipped an ad out of the American Auto Club mag titled "Finally.....A Computer That's Designed for YOU, Not Your Grandchildren!" Within the article it states "A key part of the Designed for Seniors GO Computer is that you never have to worry about maintaining your computer... we do it for you... remotely. So it never slows down, never crashes, never freezes, and you never have to worry about spam or viruses."
For less than $.75/ day, the computer is trouble-free and reliable as electricity. The vendor seems to be firstSTREET for Boomers and Beyond, 1998 Ruffin Mill Rd.; Colonial Hts, VA 23834.
I'm curious as to what OS they use in this computer.GO Computer OS

Advertisements

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
Looks like your link is broken at the bottom :)

This looks like something not only seniors could use, but almost anyone who wants to keep their PC safe. Some people are really paranoid about this kind of thing, and would be more than happy to pay 75 cents per day. I personally don't think that it's really necessary, but it seems like a pretty good business idea for those that aren't computer savvy.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Here are the specs...

* Intel Atom N270 Processor
* 1 GB Ram
* 160G Hard drive
* 4 USB Slots
* Built-in Wireless
* Speakers come built-in

I could not seem to find the OS used, but I didn't look real hard, I'm not that interested. A quick google search you will find their website and some reviews. Seems nice I guess... good idea.

However, I could not find a single picture of the tower or desktop. One review showed a flat screen with a set of 2.0 speakers and a color coded keyboard, but no tower/desktop part. I guess seniors wouldn't really care anyway, but I just wanted to see! :)

Edited by Ferrari, 20 September 2009 - 07:55 PM.

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
On the website it says that the computer is mounted behind the monitor, so I'm thinking it's kind of the same thing as Macs. It also looks like they have a custom OS installed that is meant for simplicity. The idea is to give seniors access to simple things such as Email, Internet, and a few classic games (blackjack, solitaire, etc).

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
AHHH, an all-in-one job, huh? I might have to get my girlfriend one, I'm getting tired of fixing her computer all the dang time!!! Drives me nuts, ugh... :)