Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

input signal out of range

• Please log in to reply

pre-crappy-o

pre-crappy-o

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i have a compaq V5000 laptop with the monitor removed. i am using the auxiliary vga port to connect monitors to and doing fine until now... when i turn on the computer it fails to show me any of the startup screens and doesnt turn the screen on until windows is at the logon screen. that has always happened to the external monitors and no biggie. the biggie happened since i tried to boot into safe mode using msconfig and adding the safeboot to the boot command line. now i cant see to change it back and apparently shuts off the auxiliary port in safe mode... any help with this one? remember, no orginal monitor... can only use aux port for screen.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
The only thing I can think of is to pull the drive, put it into an enclosure/connect it to another computer, and edit the boot.ini. Other than that, I have no idea.

pre-crappy-o

pre-crappy-o

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
well i got the enclosure ordered and should be here tomorrow but i have two more questions....

1. can i just boot straight from that hard drive on another computer and run windows and everything?

2. do i need to install anything to do so?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

1. can i just boot straight from that hard drive on another computer and run windows and everything?

Not sure what you mean. If you mean install the drive into another computer and boot from it, then the answer is no. It'll still try to use the boot.ini file which obviously has problems. No matter what computer you put it in, it'll do the same thing. There are other factors, but suffice to say, it won't boot. If you mean boot from the enclosure, again the answer is no... see #2.

2. do i need to install anything to do so?

You can't boot from a usb drive without presetting up the install in the first place. Since this was never done, it won't boot.