Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking

• Please log in to reply

Soo

Soo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a router connected to a cable modem. Connection is good and working. I like this router because it has a print server so I'm not sure I want to give it up.

I have another router which is wireless. It occured to me that I could plug it into a port of the first router and use it in another part of the house.

I can connect to the wireless from my laptop, but I can't get out to the cable modem and the internet. Am I just trying to do something that not possible?

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

Am I just trying to do something that not possible?

Not only is this possible, it is also very common :tazz:
So long as you have all of the necessary hardware installed and functioning, you should be fine. However, right now I believe that your wired router's inbuilt firewall is blocking your wireless router from connecting to the internet. You'll need to re-configure your wired router's firewall to allow the wireless internet access.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
also make sure the routers are on the same subnet and you may want to add a route to the second router that would push it past the first router. you should be able to just drop a static route to 0.0.0.0 using the other router as a gateway. or you can enable rip on both routers