Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Random explorer.exe crashes on XP Pro SP3

• Please log in to reply

mbrazil

mbrazil

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:) :) :) :)

I'm running XP Pro with SP3 and all subsequent updates. Occasionally and sporadically, (sometimes several times a day, other times once a day or not at all) explorer.exe crashes and I get an error dialog saying "Explorer.EXE - Application Error : The instruction at "0x<various>" referenced memory at "0x<various>". The memory could not be "read" <or> "written".

I've searched and found threads relating to this error message, but most of them seem to deal with errors that occur when working with .avi files or related applications and/or codecs. Since I rarely do anything with these types of files and applications, and since I don't keep any of these types of files on my system, the solutions in these threads don't apply to my problem.

The explorer crashes I'm experiencing don't seem to be related to anything specific I'm doing at the time, and I'm not having any trouble accessing any files or folders anywhere on my hard drive. They appear to occur at random. There is nothing of any use to be found in the event log. The only event entry I find after one of these explorer crashes is from winlogon ID: 1002 -- "The shell stopped unexpectedly and Explorer.exe was restarted."

Explorer does restart successfully, and everything appears to function correctly afterwards.

Advertisements