Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Adding Security to our Home Wireless Net

• Please log in to reply

nessle

nessle

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Alright, I'm completely stumped here. I'd like to add security to our home wireless net but I have no idea how. I've seen the sticky about Home Networking, but I'm getting no where. I can't even figure out how to access the admin page for our linksys.

Right now our internet is basically available for anybody with a computer. We'd like to restrict it to the main computer (which the wireless adapter? is connected to), a secondary computer (with a wireless usb adapter), and a laptop (also with a usb adapter).

Since I didn't physically install our system, I'm not even certain where to start on in the guide.

Basically, if someone could link me to a adding-wireless-security site for dummies or even just point out which numbers I'm gonna need in the sticky that'd be great.

Normally I'd be willing to play around with the trial and error method, but I'd rather not risk our internet connection (especially since that's the only place that could bail me out). :)

Edited by nessle, 21 September 2009 - 12:19 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the quickest way to figure this out would be to look in the manual for your router...if you give me the model number on the router i can find it for you..

but the basic structure is always the same....what you need to do is physically plug your computer into the router with an ethernet cable, then you would put the router's IP address into your browser's address bar...this would bring up the router's config page...then you'd just follow the manual to set the security of your choice

to find out the router's ip, plug your computer into the router and wait a few minutes. then press start, then run, then type "cmd" (without quotes) in the run box and press enter, once the command prompt opens type "ipconfig /all" (without quotes, also note the space between ipconfig and /all) and press enter. this will put a bunch of text on the screen... look for the section called "local area connection" then find the section there that says "default gateway"...that number next to the default gateway is your router's ip address (probably something like 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1)

nessle

nessle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks. Here are the model numbers.

Cable Modem (linksys)
#Befcmulo

Wireless-G Broadband Router (linksys)
#WRT54GS

And they're plugged in to run. Will I have to plug in a different cord as well?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

eh? the computer is plugged into the router with an ethernet cable? i thought you said they were all wireless?

nessle

nessle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

eh? the computer is plugged into the router with an ethernet cable? i thought you said they were all wireless?

I'm pretty sure it's plugged in. It's got a blue phone-cord-looking type wire connecting the Router to the main computer. I think my dad keeps it plugged in all the time.

(The internet I can handle, hardware not so much. :))

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
okiedokie...well on that computer press start, then run, then type "cmd" (no quotes) and press enter, then type "ipconfig /all" (again no quotes) and press enter...look for the number in the section that says "default gateway" (should be something like 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 or something similar), open internet explorer and put http://<the number in the default gateway section> and press enter...this should get you to the router config page

then follow the steps Here to add security to the wireless network

nessle

nessle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thank you so much! I've managed to get all three connected and added all the security features the sticky lists.

Thank you! :)