Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Unable to access second hard drive files

• Please log in to reply

SavilleJ

SavilleJ

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi all, this is my first time using the website so please forgive any errors in my question but i will attempt to describe the problem how it was described to me.

Recently a friends hard drive with his Vista Home Premium install broke, he brought a new one installed it that works great however his second harddrive though he can see all the files he can't use any of them.

if more information is needed i will try to supply what i can

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

...he can see all the files he can't use any of them.

Why not? What happens when he tries? How is this "second" drive being accessed? And just to ensure understanding, by "second" you mean the "original" drive that broke, right?

SavilleJ

SavilleJ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you for the quick reply

An example is that when he clicks on a picture it opens a default thumbnail and movies and music aren't recognised by windows media player.
This second harddrive wasn't the original broken one, it was second to the original hard drive. He attempts to access the files through My Computer.

The odd thing is there aren't any error messages but if it helps i can get him to send me screen shots of how the files are being displayed.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
So it is only media files that are not working? Was WMP reinstalled?

SavilleJ

SavilleJ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you for the quick reply

An example is that when he clicks on a picture it opens a default thumbnail and movies and music aren't recognised by windows media player.
This second harddrive wasn't the original broken one, it was second to the original hard drive. He attempts to access the files through My Computer.

The odd thing is there aren't any error messages but if it helps i can get him to send me screen shots of how the files are being displayed.

SavilleJ

SavilleJ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I finally got some additional information, sorry for the delay. Its an access issue apparently he doesn't have permission to access the files

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Sorry - I did not get notice of your last Sept 21 response.

I would have a look at this: http://www.microsoft.../10/errors.aspx

SavilleJ

SavilleJ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I sent a response earlier this week but i think my internet crashed and it didnt post. its with alliles it just happens to be alot of them are media but many are programs ect and he doesnt have permission to access them. Is there a way to set different permissions for different hard drives?