Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Some files listed in Windows explorer are blue font

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
I seem to have run out of room on a Windows XP Pro system. I tried to defrag but don't have but 7% room available. I looked in Windows Explorer to try to find some huge files that might be corrupt and I see a few that are listed in blue. What does that mean? I have not compressed anything on purpose. Thanks

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Files marked in blue are compressed because they haven't been accessed for so many days. Typically Disk Clean-up flags up these files after 90 days of no access. They're not lost, they're still perfectly usable.

Defragmentation only works when a drive has 15% of free space to work with.
If you can't free up enough room the only solution is realistically a bigger hard drive. Hard drives of today are so much faster and better and bigger capacity wise you'll usually notice a jump in performance and not just from the extra free space.