Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

battery won't charge

• Please log in to reply

BudCross

BudCross

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Running a Dell Lat d610

All works fine when running on AC.

While ago I tried to use on battery. Depleated very quick. Would not recharge.
I bought a new battery. When I put it in it read 68%. Used it for about 3 hours. When it read 16% it told me I had 20 min left. All of a sudden the battery light flashed and the computer shut down. Battery will not recharge and the meter reads 0%. Any ideas before it goes to the shop. Thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Dell machines can be very fickle when you try to do keep them happy. Some whinge about generic universal power supplies, some whinge about the batteries, some are known to whinge about, well ,anything you add that it didn't come with originally.

It's entirely possible your battery is faulty, but its more likely the laptop isn't charging the battery. Faults for this can be numerous. Your best bet should be to take it back and ask for a swap for a battery that your laptop will charge.

BudCross

BudCross

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Dell machines can be very fickle when you try to do keep them happy. Some whinge about generic universal power supplies, some whinge about the batteries, some are known to whinge about, well ,anything you add that it didn't come with originally.

It's entirely possible your battery is faulty, but its more likely the laptop isn't charging the battery. Faults for this can be numerous. Your best bet should be to take it back and ask for a swap for a battery that your laptop will charge.

Thanks for the info. The power supply is the orginal. I bought the battery from "Laptop battery Depot" online and the warrenty period is over. Guess I am stuck with it.

Joe Mastro

Joe Mastro

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Sounds to me like you need a new battery! What you have described sounds typical of a laptop in need of a battery which has exceeded its functional life (charge cycles).

This is assuming of course that you have used Dell's battery maintenance utility which completely depletes the battery and charges it to a reported 100% charge.