Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Won't Turn On

• Please log in to reply

HelpPlease2009

HelpPlease2009

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hey everyone,

This morning I connected an ethernet cable to the back of my computer, all the sudden the computer shut down with no warning (not in a shut down process, but as in all the sudden I heard the fans stop working and it was off). I thought to myself, no worries, maybe the power at my house went out, it didn't. I tried turning the computer back on and it goes on for maybe one second if even, then it shuts down automatically. I checked if it was the power supply cable by connecting it to another computer, it wasn't the other computer turns on just fine. I waited a few minutes and tried again, the computer turns on for about a second and it all shuts down with no warning after one or two second maximum. When I turn it on it doesn't make any beeps, no warnings, nothing, it just goes on, then shuts down. The computer is only two weeks old, please help me fix it.

My specs:
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA
Video Card: XFX HD-487A-ZHFC Radeon HD 4870 1GB
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP 600W
Memory: OCZ XMP Ready Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Motherboard: EVGA E758-TR 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
Processor: Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Ethernet connection shouldn't have made any difference, although I suppose one could argue if the board wasn't mounted properly the art of connecting an Ethernet cable with appropriate force is enough to lodge it off the stand-offs and short the board out.

If it's only two weeks old, take it back.

HelpPlease2009

HelpPlease2009

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I just got home and decided to turn on the computer and see what happens. The computer turned on with no problems, errors, beeps or anything, and Windows loaded up fine. Then after 3:26 minutes (I timed it), the computer all the sudden shut down on its own, once again, no notifications, errors, beeps or anything, one second its on, then next thing I know it's off. I don't really know much about computers, but if it did load to Windows I'm not sure the motherboard is dead... Any ideas what it could be?

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Well, it could be a number of things. Lets start with what Neil said,

Did you use motherboard stand offs? They are usually brass/copper colored and you screw them into the motherboard tray and then place the motherboard on top of them and screw the motherboard down to them. If you did not do that, I guarantee that's a problem and your motherboard is shorting out.

If that is not the problem, my second guess is that since the computer managed to be on for 3 minutes after it sat a while, but it would only turn on for a second when trying repeatedly, that makes me suspect the cpu is over heating. Solution: reseat the heatsink to the cpu, and while your at it, take the cpu out of the socket and reseat that as well.

EDIT: Just covering my bases, you did use thermal paste in between the heatsink and cpu right? Jpw much did you apply? Should be a nice thin even layer, not too much, but not too little either.

Let me know what you think and what you tried. Neil what do you think? There are plenty of other trouble shooting we can do, but I'll just start there. Could be bad Ram...

Edited by Ferrari, 21 September 2009 - 10:45 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Power supply issue I reckon is the most likely cause on the basis it just effectively drops dead. Lack of paste or badly seated heatsink is another probable cause.
If truth be told I don't see why the OP should have to diagnose it if it's only two weeks old. I presume it was built by a shop somewhere? Or is it a custom build by the OP?

HelpPlease2009

HelpPlease2009

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Ok, I'll try and address everything you guys said.

Ferrari:
- I did use the motherboard stand offs, the case came with 6 I believe and that is how many I used. As far as I can tell the motherboard is snug in place and I do not believe that is the issue.
- My guess was also temperature problems due to the sudden shut down but once again, my knowledge is very limited so I'm not sure. As for the thermal paste, the fan came with some already on it, I did not put anymore on it because I thought the amount it came with was sufficient, this could potentially be the issue. However, the computer did run for two weeks with very minimal downtime (I keep it on at night and when not in use), so I'm not completely sure this is the issue. Either ways, I will reseat the heatsink and cpu to ensure that is not the problem.

Neil:
- The computer was custom built by me, with no previous building experience which is likely the cause to the problem.

Edit: I can't find the thermal paste right now, so I'll go buy some later on today. I will let you know the what's the verdict as soon as I buy some. Otherwise however, how can I test whether it is the PSU that's the problem?

Edited by HelpPlease2009, 22 September 2009 - 11:57 AM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
The best way to test if your power supply is the issue is try a different power supply. Do you have any friends that would let you borrow theirs? You can simply just return the power supply, and try the new one. Also, a mom and pop type of shop in your area should have a power supply tester that they could use for you, they may not even charge you to test it. It is very simple to do. Or, they may charge a small amount.

Keep us updated.

P.S. If you are able to keep the computer on long enough, install PC Wizard and open it up. (You can find the link in my signature) Check what the temperatures read when you click on the thermal icon (looks like a voltage meter icon). Write them down quickly as the computer can shut down at anytime.

Report the temperatures back to us if you can.

Edited by Ferrari, 22 September 2009 - 12:11 PM.

HelpPlease2009

HelpPlease2009

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Ok, bought thermal paste, took the heatsink off, took the cpu out, reseated the cpu, applied thermal paste and reseated the heatsink. Tried turning on the computer, it turned on for maybe two seconds and then it automaticly shut down. Figured might be the PSU, so I took out the PSU and put in my brother's PSU. Turned on the computer and it shut down once again after two seconds. Any other ideas?

Edit: As of right now I can't turn on the computer for more then two or three seconds so I can't check the temperature.

2nd Edit: Ferrari, I know you have the same motherboard, on the motherboard to the right of the ram there is a little blue light, does yours have a little orange one lit up next to it or no?

Edited by HelpPlease2009, 22 September 2009 - 03:58 PM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I think the next step is to check the RAM. You have 3 sticks total. MAKE SURE YOU CHECK YOUR MOTHERBOARD MANUAL FOR WHAT SLOT IS THE SINGLE CHANNEL SLOT. That is very important. Take all the RAM out and try just one stick in THE SINGLE CHANNEL SLOT. Try to boot the computer. If that doesn't work, try another stick, if that doesn't work, try the last stick.

Just see if you can boot the computer that way.

And while your at it, have the hard drive disconnected, just try getting it to boot into the BIOS. Don't worry about getting it to Windows yet. OK?

If that doesn't work, take everything out of the case. Set your motherboard on a piece of cardboard. Connect only 1 stick of RAM in the single channel slot, cpu, heatsink and fan, power supply, the case switch(might have to have your case close to do this) Video card, a keyboard, and a monitor. Do Not connect the hard drive, cd player, or any case fans, lights, anything extra.

Press the power button and repeatedly press the delete key, Did you get to the BIOS?

Won't turn on? Try a different stick of RAM.

If all of this fails, it is most likely your motherboard is bad. It is pretty uncommon for the cpu to be bad. Return the motherboard and try what I just told you again.

Doesn't work? Return the cpu, and try again.

Good luck! :)

Edited by Ferrari, 22 September 2009 - 04:08 PM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Yes, a little orange one is next to it also, but it is not lit when the computer is off. Only the blue one is lit when the computer is off.

Consult your motherboard manual for light codes or if that LCD Reader has any codes on it when you are trying to boot your comptuer, see what the motherboard manual says those codes mean.

EDIT: Have you tried clearing your CMOS? Press and hold the onboard button for that for a few seconds. Try to boot the computer.

Advertisements

HelpPlease2009

HelpPlease2009

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Sorry about the late reply, had a busy night last night and couldn't get back to trying to fix the computer until now.

I came home today, plugged in the PSU to the wall, it turned on fine, booted to windows, then automatically shut down. I did as you said, took out all the RAM sticks and tried turning it on one at a time, the computer didn't turn on at all. I disconnected everything but the essentials, tried again, computer won't turn on at all. I also tried clearing my CMOS and the computer won't boot either.

However, during all of this I did discover a few things that might be useful. When the PSU is plugged into the wall the first time, the computer will turn on (whether for a minute or for a second but it will). After it dies once it will not turn on anymore at all. If plugged out and plugged back in then the computer will turn on for one-two seconds and then shut down. Not quite sure why is it that when plugged out of the wall and then back in it will turn on "normally" but after the first time it will no longer turn on.

Other things I have noticed. According to the motherboard manual (page 35): "POWER LED (YELLOW): When the system is powered on: This LED is on. DIMM LED (Green): When the Memory slot is functional: This LED is on. STANDBY LED (BLUE): When the system is in Standby Mode: This LED is on. This LED will remain on as long as the motherboard is receiving constant power."

The blue LED light is currently on meaning the motherboard is receiving power. Can't check right now because the computer won't light up for more then a second regarding the green LED (Please check at what point does your green LED light up). Lastly, once plugged into the wall only the blue LED will light up, when I press the power button the yellow LED will light up but when the system shuts down mysteriously this yellow LED will remain on (and according to you it should not remain on).

According to the manual there is a Debug LED with a CPU temperature monitor as well, I'm going to give the computer an hour or so to cool down, after that I will turn on the computer and watch it for any errors or temperatures as it loads up.

Assuming we reach the conclusion this is a faulty motherboard, would you recommend I take the computer to a lab to get checked out first or just send it back?

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hmmm,

I just fixed an old Dell Optiplex 270 that was doing the same thing you mentioned. Unplug and plug it back in it turns on, then when I would turn it off and try again, nothing.

The culprit was a bad power supply, and it just so happened to have a dead CMOS battery.(little round watch type battery, usually CR2032 is the number on it) I wonder if you have both, just like my problem with that one?

Can you have everything out of the case and try your brothers PSU again? But is his PSU powerful enough? What are the amps on the +12v Rail? It will say on the sticker on the side of the PSU.

Systems usually can boot with a bad CMOS battery(I think, not 100% on that).

Can you afford to buy a CMOS Battery and try it? And then if that doesn't help return it? Make sure you can return it

It's hard for me to trouble shoot without being there sometimes. I wonder how much a shop would charge for them to trouble shoot it/diagnose it. Just sort of seems your motherboard is sometimes working and sometimes not. Let me know about the PSU questions.

That's all I got. Generally when you hook up the bare essentials (bench test) and you don't get any action, then your motherboard is dead. BUT! The fact that it is sometimes booting to Windows after a long sit, and sometimes turning on makes me wonder. I'm just unsure bud. Let me know how it goes...

J.R. :)

HelpPlease2009

HelpPlease2009

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
My brother's PSU is the exact same as mine (this one), when I bought my components for my new computer he asked me to order the exact same for his. I have been using his PSU to do all the tests conducted thus far and same results. I have no idea what the "amps are on the +12v rail" even by looking at the stickers, can you be more specific please?

A new battery is $5 at tiger direct, I'm going to be around the store at 7:30 and I have no problem buying a new one. According to their website they only have this one, the one my computer currently has is panasonic, is that other one ok?

I understand the difficulty, and I do appreciate the effort. If this doesn't work then don't worry, not your fault, this is very hard to do without being there haha.

Edit: Ok, some other new developments. I tried turning on the computer when it was on the side and it wouldn't turn on (which didn't make any sense because it normally did after a long break). I took the RAM out, tried again, nothing. I put the case so it stands normally, unplugged, plugged back in, tried again, boom, computer loads for a few seconds. Sort of weird that while on the side it wouldn't turn on but while standing it does...

Otherwise, the green LED did come on when turned on so technically speaking according to the manual the memory slot is functional.

I got into the BIOS, had no idea what I was looking for, about 20 seconds after it turned on it shut down again.

No idea if this information helps or means anything but figured I'd add it in

Edited by HelpPlease2009, 23 September 2009 - 04:51 PM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Just make sure the one on your motherboard is that same number, 2032 I think it says. The one in the link was 2032, so it's probably the right one, but just make sure.

Look at the link you gave me of your PSU. Under the specifications tab, see where it says numbers like this... +12V1@25A,+12V2@25A. That means you have two rails, each have 25amps per rail which is plenty for your system. I think I was the one that recommended that PSU too. I use the 500watt version on my parents build, no problems at all.

Keep in touch,

J.R.

HelpPlease2009

HelpPlease2009

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I spoke to my father about these problems today and he said there's a guy at his work that's willing to look at it and possibly fix it for free, so that's what I'm going to do. Just wanted to say thanks for all the help and if you're interested I'll let you know what was the problem when I find out.