Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP 3050 laserjet printer problems

• Please log in to reply

alondro

alondro

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi everyone

I have a windows xp sp2 installed on a HP - AMD athlon 64. after a reinstallation I could not get the printer software to install. At the 3/4th stage where it asks for me to plug in the printer it refuses to recognise the port...?? and instead of showing USB port in the hardware it starts showing unknown device...??

There is nothing wrong with the usb port because in Ubuntu it works fine and is printing the documents.

Thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Presumable you ran the CD/software first BEFORE plugging the printer in?

alondro

alondro

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I am not sure... because another friend was around fiddling with the system but I tried later and even without the cable attached it is not installing..??

But presuming that your suspicion is correct what is the way to install it now...

Joe Mastro

Joe Mastro

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Please ensure that you have installed the correct chipset driver package for your particular chipset. I have seen this problem before where devices are incorrectly identified by 'unknown device'... a chipset update/install has fixed the problem in the past for me.

Good luck!

alondro

alondro

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
hi everyone,
Finally I licked this problem....pure luck I guess!! :)

Seems like some problem with the installer program. Inspite of uninstalling and reinstalling the devices and downloading various versions of drivers including peeking into the cabinet to check the right version of the motherboard chipset and finally reaching nowhere.. I decided to reinstall the OS and try to install windows again but all for nothing.... The device still showed up as 'unknown device'

at last in desperation I decided to change some of the install options while installing the driver for the printer
1. I decided to install just the drivers and not the programs that go along with it.
2. I changed my choice of printer to be installed from HP 3050 to HP 3052/3055/....etc

Bingo it installed everything including the drivers for HP 3050 and when I connected the printer it immidiately picked it up and everything was fine.....

Thanks for all the support keeps one going..!! :)