Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

No Sound [RESOLVED]

• Please log in to reply

thedarkprince

thedarkprince

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Hi,

I have been having some major problems with XP (Home edition) and in the end had to re-format my hard-disk and re-install XP. Since doing so I have not been able to get any sound from my pc.

I have been into Device Manager and updated the drivers as a few were either unistalled or out of date but still no sound.

I have also checked that everything is plugged in properly too ;)

Any ideas how to sort this?

Thanks in advance :tazz:

Edited by thedarkprince, 23 May 2005 - 09:46 AM.

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
go to control panel, sound and audio devices. what is listed as your sound device? then go to the audio tab, make sure the correct device is listed for playback and recording.
then try the volume tab, make sure the sliders are up for play control, wav, cd audio, midi, etc. and not muted.

thedarkprince

thedarkprince

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
All of this is as it should be. The audio device is a Realtek AC97 Audio and, like previously mentioned, i have the up to date driver.

I'm confused as to what else it could be :tazz:

The only thing i can think off was i had to remove my hard disk last week, could i have displaced a connection?

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
when you view device manager, does your sound device show up without the yellow ! and says it is working properly?

thedarkprince

thedarkprince

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Yeah when i re-installed XP there was the yellow sign but then i installed the new driver and it disappeared (as it should do). It says its working fine when i click in to it.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
and of course you checked the bios and on board sound is enabled? I had a problem getting one of my Gigybyte mobo on board sound to work. After installing the driver and viewing it in device manager and it was happy and still not working. So for s&g I went to windows update and ran it, if found a driver which I installed and it worked. I am running out of ideas for you. Did you check the mobo manual for info? How about their web site?

thedarkprince

thedarkprince

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
No i haven't checked the BIOS.

Will do so when i get home and see if that works.

Cheers for the help :tazz:

thedarkprince

thedarkprince

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I've now checked the BIOS and the onboard sound was switched on so i'm back to square one with this ;)

I really don't have a clue as to what else it could be :tazz:

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
hmmm...do you know the speakers are working? connect them to another source to be sure. headphone out of a cd player or radio or something like that would work.
then check the speaker out on the PC, by plugging headphones directly into the green output plug.
if the speakers are working, and no sound with headphones directly from computer, post back with the make and model of your motherboard. theres a couple things we can check out with that info...

thedarkprince

thedarkprince

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Ok, i thought i'd just give you guys an update on the situation.

Basically, everything is working fine now. When i rebooted the PC after a few days away (hence the delay in my response) the dman speakers were working. I didn't change or touch anything, they just started working.

My conclusion is that the speakers are under teh control of witchcraft ;)

......or there's a loose connection ;)

Thanks for everyone's help :tazz: