Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Possible XP issue, could be hardware?

• Please log in to reply

knewbold

knewbold

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi
I wonder if anyone can help me, ive got a bit of a problem, and its drving me insane
Its a bit of a long one, but if you have any ideas please let me know and i will get back to this page in about 8 hrs when i get up!

Right here goes
This started 2 days ago when i got a virus which i BELEIVE to be win32/heur

My antivirus picked it up but seemed to do nothing. The system was stable for a while - but after a few reboots it got less responsive, So i thought i would install Avast anti-virus,
This then did a scan and found a few things, I was happy for a moment - then it got much much worse

When the pc rebooted after the intial scan, I had continual dr watson errors, If i moved these out of the way the system was stable. Although my wireless network didnt work
I checked control panel and i had exclamation marks next to the entire network adapters list, including some of the protocols.

Also at this point my antivirus and antimalware applications didnt open)

I spent a good amount of time trying to fix this and then i got really annoyed and decided to reinstall windows

This is a bit of a problem for me - as the machine in question doesnt have a cd drive (it blew out due to a psu issue a while ago)

ITo combat this i always have a copy of windows on a bootable usb stick to install via bartPE, which i have used many times on other peoples pc (i work in IT so people ask me to do work!, infact this is the only problem thats caused me grief!)

Since i didnt want to lose any data i installed windows to another DIR on the same hard drive,

When the system restarted it worked ok for a reboot or 2, then the virus popped up again (couldnt run malwarebytes etc)
So this time i deleted the new windows installation and the old one.

Reinstalled windows all ok and installed antivirus before the reboot, and it picked up a few problems.

Every few minutes it picked up problems so i thought that i should wipe everything

I loaded partition magic to create a extra partition that i could use for the windows temp files - and converted the other partition to fat32 (which requires a reboot)

During this reboot the real fun started.

Partition magic crashed.

Upon reboot i was presented with a error saying windows may have had recent HW changes - would i like to start windows normally or in safe mode ETC

Heres the odd bit

No matter what i chose - the pc would reboot and constantly loop - offering me the options again

I then decided that i would use bart PE to reinstall windows - with what i thought was a damaged partition (i would use a disk tool in bart pe to re-partition)

I booted the pc from usb into bartpe and half way through loading i got a blue screen of death....Telling me it might be a HDD problem and i should run chkdsk /f (pretty standard error)

I checked the portable drive by loading bart PE on my laptop, whcih worked all ok (proving that bartPE was all ok)

I then after spending a long time scratching my head, Set up a 2nd pc (which i will call PC-B) and connecting PC-A's hard drive to as a slave

The 2nd pc booted up and instantly ran a scandisk/chkdisk on bootup - saying that PC-A's hard drive was at fault - It found a massive list of problems - i let scandisk finish, and then put PC-As hard drive back in PC-A

At this point my luck got worse - and the drive fried (which was my fault entirely, i beleive i have a faulty molex on the psu)

After much swearing, the full problem materialised!( what you heard above is the full background!)

I put PC-B's hard drive in PC-A, intending to do a full format and install on it

When it booted up - i was presented with the SAME error as with the original hard drive, The pc presented me with a error and the safe mode options ETC, No matter what i chose i got the windows splash screen - and then a reboot.

I tried bartPE again - got the same BSOD with the same error - which is half telling me it wasnt the HDD at fault

My question?

Any ideas on what this can be

I havent swapped ram out
I have set cmos options to failsafe/defaults
I have tried 2 vga cards
if it helps i believe the mobo is a asus p5rdv-2 deluxe - but i may be wrong with a few letters

I could at a push borrow a dvd drive from someone and try installing from disk - but since i know that bartPE works, i didnt do this today

Another thing that is odd - I get the bart PE BSOD with no HDD attched either
BartPE certainly has worked on this PC before - and currently works on others

Im sorry that this thread is so long - but since im off to bed soon i wanted to give all the background - so hopefully when i wake up i will have a few things to try
I have also posted this on a few forums -as its driving me insane
Thanks for your time

K

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Up to the point where your HD was "fried" it was all software problems, severe XP corruption, caused by malware, a malware removal process or something else. I am not sure what you mean by frying the HD. If it's burnt because of a short circuit then it could damage other parts of the system. If another HD works properly then other parts of the hardware are not damaged, probably.

Now, if the second HD has an OS installed on it then the computer tries to boot using this OS, failing due to incompetability of drivers etc. Reformat the second HD and try the installation on a clean disk.

By the way, I doubt if the installation that you are trying to do is legal.