Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Message "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or fil

• Please log in to reply

special k801

special k801

• Pip
  • 2 posts
So, I'll try to explain what has happened with my computer in as much detail as possible with out rambling.

I have an older desktop that was given to me, because it had files that i would never use I thought that my best option would be to uninstall the OS and reinstall it so I could start fresh. As I tried to uninstall the OS in "Add/Remove Programs" the OS was not found. With some effort I found that there were corrupt files that needed fixed to be able to uninstall. So i went to the microsoft support site (from my laptop) and found that I could boot from floppy drive the OS, but I overlooked that I needed the installation CD to finish the process. I also found that I could use the floppy's to get to the Recovery Console, and from the Recovery Console I could fix the corrupted files. I followed the instructions step by step and typed in all the prompts correctly, but when I got to the last step is when the real head ache began.

The last step had me restart the computer then go to Start|Accessories|System Tools|System Recovery. When I clicked on System Recovery the following message appeared, " Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item." The problem is that it says that with everything I try to open EXCEPT My Computer, Control Panel, and it will extract ZIP Folders. But nothing within Control Panel will open after that.

I think that I may have unintentionally corrupted my Registry when I was in the Recovery Console. I'm now at a loss for what to do. Some other info that might be helpful; i have an installation CD for XP SP1a but the inherited computer runs XP SP2, i have a laptop that is fully functional, I have an external hard drive that so far has nothing on it and 1T of space.

Thanks to anyone who might be able to help me,
Special K801

Advertisements

special k801

special k801

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Oh yeah and the functional laptop runs Vista.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
You can't uninstall Windows from within Windows.
If there is no important info on that old laptop, boot from XP CD and perform clean install.
Manual: http://www.michaelst...nxpinstall.html