Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unmountable_boot_volume; can't even get into safe mode

• Please log in to reply

GoodOldDan

GoodOldDan

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, I can't get get my other computer to boot properly. I can't even get into "Safe mode". No other mode works either. I can only access a few things that are highly technical (that have no meaning to me). I end up with a blue window that gives the problem (UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME). It offers a solution : Enter safe mode and deactivate recently installed programs and BIOS memory options ("mise en cache", "ombrage") - the computer is set up in French. I don't know what a BIOS is, nor whether it tastes better with ketchup or relish. The computer is a Dell Latitude D820 with Windows XP professional.

The last time I used the computer, I had shut down my programs, but then received a few error reports. I was in a rush, so I just held down the power button until the computer shut off. I realize that it would only have taken a minute or so to answer the annoying report messages, but I've never had a computer react like this.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
It looks like system files got messed up.
If you have Windows CD, you can attempt repair: http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

GoodOldDan

GoodOldDan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Broni,

This is a computer from work and I have no extra material to help run it. I'll bring it into work and get it fixed. I just thought this was something I could fix on my own and solve quickly.

Thanks anyway, and I'll let you know how things go.

Cheers,
Dan

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
No problem :)

GoodOldDan

GoodOldDan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey Broni,
The problem was solved by the IT dept.
It turned out to be something simple, but I now take better care about ALWAYS shutting the computer down properly.

Cheers!