Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

acer fan replacement

• Please log in to reply

shedevilbri

shedevilbri

• Pip
  • 6 posts
hi does anyone know if i caan replace an acer aspire 3100 fan witb one out of an hp dv600.the fans totally dead getting no power and i happen tohave a disassembled hp.thanks

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
If it physically fits, both in mounting and the electrical connection, it should work. But physical dimensions are not the only consideration to deal with for cooling fans. If it does not move the same amount or more air (CFM - cubic feet/minute), it may not provide sufficient cooling. Note that CFM is determined by the blade length, width, pitch, and rotation speed. A physical fit only ensures the length is correct, but if it does not spin as fast, or the blades just don't dig in to move as much air, it may not provide enough cooling.

Since you already have it apart, I would still try it, but make sure you use a monitoring program to keep an eye on the temperatures.

Note the fan housings should have marking to show rotation and flow directions. Make sure the replacement fan is installed with the same orientation.

I will also take this opportunity to caution about ESD damage - ensure all power is removed, and that you touch bare metal of the case interior before reaching in, and frequently thereafter to prevent any destructive damage from a static discharge from your finger tips.