Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

64 bit System

• Please log in to reply

Luckyjfl

Luckyjfl

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Hi guys,
I installed a win XP Pro 64 bit system on my pc recently. All is well except that a lot of programs are not compatable with the 64 system. I also find I cannot install the max Memory of above 4GB, with the 64 system. I tried to install a 32 bit system but I get prevented from doing so during the installation. It mentions making a partition on the hard drive. I did that but to no avail. I am trying to take this 64 bit system off and reinstall the 32 bit.
Any ideas please.

Lucky

Motherboard = EP41-UD3L Ver - F4
Processor = Pen 4631 Presler - D 3 GHz
Windows XP PRO 64 Bit
Graphics = ATI Radeon HD 4670
Ram = 4GB

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Luckyjfl...

Try deleting the current partition and installing the 32 bit OS on the unallocated space that results. The unallocated space will have to be formatted NTFS...don't use the quick format option.

Keep in mind that the 32 bit system will only see about 3.5 GB of your RAM.

wannabe1

Luckyjfl

Luckyjfl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Hi Wannabe1,
thank you for getting back to me. I will try the option you suggested.
All the best.

Lucky

Luckyjfl

Luckyjfl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Hi,
I did like you suggested and managed to get the new system on my ide 2nd drive. So now I am going to format the Sata HD [ which was primary before ]and reinstall the new system on that one.
Cheers again for all your help.

Lucky

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
My pleasure... :)