Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Question about RAM speed

• Please log in to reply

theinvulnerable

theinvulnerable

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
What if I install a DDR2 667mhz on a motherboard that only support up to DDR2 533mhz, could it do harm or danger to my motherboard and devices?

Thanks...

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
no...as long as the ram is the right form factor (size and shape) and compatible with your motherboard it will run at the fastest speed allowed by the board

also ram will only run at the speed of the fastest piece of ram

theinvulnerable

theinvulnerable

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

no...as long as the ram is the right form factor (size and shape) and compatible with your motherboard it will run at the fastest speed allowed by the board

also ram will only run at the speed of the fastest piece of ram

Sir you mean even if the ram I installed was higher speed than the speed support of motherboard is still fine and none any problem will exist in the future? And how about speed of the RAM, is it important than the capacity of the RAM? How can speed affect the performance of my RAM?

Thank you again Sir, I hope you'll enlighten me.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

Sir you mean even if the ram I installed was higher speed than the speed support of motherboard is still fine and none any problem will exist in the future?

should be the case

And how about speed of the RAM, is it important than the capacity of the RAM? How can speed affect the performance of my RAM?

they go hand in hand....large capacity gives you more place to put information that's in use...and fast speed gives you the ability to put info there and get it back really fast....

at some point...if either of these two (speed and capacity) are too far apart then you get bottlenecks...if the ram has huge capacity but slow transfer speed then the system will slow down trying to fill the ram up....and if you've got really fast ram with low capacity...then it will be trying to force a bunch of info through a smaller door