Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sata drive not seen-new build

• Please log in to reply

jr chambers

jr chambers

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
you guys have always come through for the viruses for me so now i have a system build problem, i have built (put together) a abit ax8 board(this is a 64 bit amd board), 2gig kingston mem, one wd caviar 500 gig sata drive, one old cd rom, old floppy, boots to bois well, looks for disc and loads windows til it comes to the "windows is starting" screen-the keyboard looses power(doesn't work unless i unplug it and reinstall and then quickly press key(enter, to load windows), then it displays no drives found, i have the floppy and when prompted hit F6 and then when prompted hit S and load the floppy and then it loads the drivers. i have tried this with both xp home and pro. i have tried to load without the floppy and still same end, i think it all comes down to seeing the drive. options less replacement of what i hope is a very good board? thanks for your help
Joel

Advertisements

jr chambers

jr chambers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
success! i have gotten it to work, some of you may want to know how-yes please tell :) ok, so i did not realize that the sata drive was rated at 3.0gb and that i needed a jumper to set it at 1.5gb-to do that you have to steal a jumper from something else-an old cd drive! also when i got to the "windows is starting" screen i just started pressing enter as soon as i saw it and viola loaded windows, awesome! i hope this will help anyone else the encounters this as it put me on the 3 nite hair pulling-that dummy just keeps repeating the same steps course. :)
Joel