Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need some help reformatting my C drive..

• Please log in to reply

sporadicazmatic

sporadicazmatic

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello, I want to reformat my C drive, because its so full,and i dont know what else to get rid of on it. I had a very bad virus, so i formatted the whole computer, but, it didn't format my hard drives, like i thought was going to. I have windows xp service pack 2. I do not think the computer came with a windows disk or anything, so i dont know what to do.

It is a 250 gb hard drive, and i dont get what is taking up all the space on it. I have a lot of music, but i have a separate external hard drive for all of that. I would reallly appreciate some help on how to reformat the hard drive, and still have all the windows components and all that so the computer still works.

A HUGE thank you, in advance, to the person that assists me. Thank you =] :) :) :) :)

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

i formatted the whole computer, but, it didn't format my hard drives

What do you mean by that?
How did you format computer?

sporadicazmatic

sporadicazmatic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I did the 'system recovery', where it sets the computer back to factory settings.... i guess that isnt 'reformatting'.. lol... sorry... Thanks for the fast reply!

.... So, how would i get my c drive formatted, but have all my windows components still on there?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Well, when you reset your computer to factory settings, that gave you most of your hard drive space back.
Formatting again won't make any difference, because you have to some Windows, some programs installed.
It looks like you need bigger drive.

sporadicazmatic

sporadicazmatic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
It didn't really put my computer back to factory settings though, i still had a bunch of programs that i put on the computer myself, still installed after the system recovery thing.... When i got the computer it had alot of free space, so when i did the systemm recovery , it should have had alot of free space, correct? mayeb i did it wrong... 250 gb is a decent amount of space, and i dont know how its almost all taken up. ..... So, even if it would'nt help that much, ... is there a way i can reformat my c drive, but keep all the windows components and stuff??? Thanks for your help so far... :)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Is it Dell, and you ran non-destructive recovery by any chance?

sporadicazmatic

sporadicazmatic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
its a compaq presario sr2038x. I have no clue if i ran a 'non destructive' recovery.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
If you don't have any important data on that computer, press F10 at Compaq's logo and it'll give you an option to restore the computer to factory settings.

sporadicazmatic

sporadicazmatic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
alright... ill try it again.... thank you for the :) :)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Keep us posted.