Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

What type of windows xp should i install 32bit, 64bit or 86bit?

• Please log in to reply

brady1988

brady1988

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Hello there, i've wondering what type of windows should i install into my system inasmuch as people say that installing the wrong bit into your system would cause a low performance.
So what i wanna know is what to install now according to that i gathered some info for u guys in order to make my point more clear:
Posted Image

As u can see my system is based on X68 = 68bit, so yesterday i was using my external HARD DRIVE [WD] with a different computer it was actually a desktop so i plugged it in and it worked in fact it was working fine but after several hours i decided to unplug it and plug it back in my laptop and the big mystery appeared the little light on my EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE wasnt blinking as usual so i started to worry a little cus when u plug it in it will usually blink for 50 seconds or a minute which hasn't happened yet.
My opinion is that i plugged it into a different system bit my cousin said to me that his computer was 64bit and mine was and still 32bit so after i did a little research i found out that it could be a failure connecting the external hard drive into a different system bit, in order to fix that u must connect the external hard drive back to that computer and see if it works again but the bad news is that my cousin formatted his computer and the new system bit is 32bit just like mine and i know he screwed up on that cus his 32bit is not for his system, so i will really appreciate some light on this issue.

Thank U! have a wonderful day.

Edited by brady1988, 23 September 2009 - 08:03 AM.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

First of all, there is no such thing as an 86bit operating system.

Secondly, you are running a 32bit system.

Lastly, in order to install the 64bit version of XP, you need a motherboard and processor capable of supporting 64bit. From what I can see, yours doesn't.

Murray

Luckyjfl

Luckyjfl

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Hi Brady1988. All I can say is, that I have had the Windows x64 bit system on my desk pc for a few months now. It ran ok but I could not get the extra RAM to work. With 64 bit you are supposed to be able to get the max RAM, which in my case would have been anything from 4GB up to 8GB. The other thing about using 64 bit was that I found some programs did not work on that system. I have a problem note in the forums regarding trying to get this system off, and reinstall the Windows XP Pro 32 bit.
So, I hope this bit of info helps you.
All the best.
Lucky

brady1988

brady1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Okay, but i wanna know if i can install windows xp 64bit or at least u can tell me what kind of bit will fit perfectly in my system getting the best performance.
this laptop what im talking aboout is a DELL INSPIRON B130 just in case u need the info, thnx in advanced.

n3ko

n3ko

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Murray S. already answered you. :)

Pentium M is a 32-bit processor. It does not support 64-bit. I can't see much about your mobo, but I doubt it would support 64-bit, it's designed to work with the Pentium M processors with socket 479.

I don't think you can upgrade your CPU to a 64-bit capable CPU, partly because I agree with Murray and doubt your mobo will support it, but also because I don't believe there's a socket 479 Intel processor capable of 64-bit support. Could be wrong on that, it's worth checking if you're determined.

Anyway, 64-bit operating systems aren't all they're craked up to be - yet - and as others have said, there aren't many programs available that work on a 64-bit platform as of yet. Really not worth the trouble at this time, imho. If your CPU is 1.7GHz and you want it to be faster, upgrade the CPU to a higher GHz Pentium M - such as an M750, M755 or M765 - or overclock your current processor.

Not really sure what's going on with your USB drive... could be corrupted. Have you tried unplugging it (from computer & wall), rebooting and plugging it back in? Silly question, I know, but worth asking sometimes. :)

[edit:]
bit architecture is backwards-compatible. So, an initially 64-bit OS can be downgraded to a 32-bit OS and the hardware will support and run it easily. Would run 16-bit too. Your system could be downgraded to 16 bit as well. Why anyone would do that is moot, it can be done with no real problems.

But, if your system is 32-bit and you want to run 64-bit, but your hardware doesn't have the architecture, it will not support or run it. It's not forwards-compatible.

Your cousin could have downgraded to 32-bit OS with no issues. He should be fine. :)
Thought though - he didn't reformat and install the new OS with your usb drive attached to his computer, did he?

Edited by n3ko, 23 September 2009 - 07:36 PM.

brady1988

brady1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
no it was unplugged at that moment so i think is something different there is gotta be something else to do in order to fix this problem :) and i dont know what else i can do. now i just have more question i was doing a little research about a windows i wanna install :

i know is a pirate version or i don't know but the thing is that im gonna buy that windows and install it so what do u think , should i install that wiindows ?

Edited by wannabe1, 24 September 2009 - 08:26 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Never install pirated software...you'll end up with a pocket full of problems. Plus...it's illegal. If you install a pirated version, we will not assist you with it. Stick with your current operating system for now and get a legal upgrade to Windows 7 when it's released on Oct 22.

Murray is right...your hardware won't support a 64 bit system. It simply doesn't have the architecture.

Your external drive not being detected has nothing to do with whether it was last accessed by a 32 bit or a 64 bit system. That makes no difference what-so-ever. There's other mischief afoot here.

What kind of external drive is this? Is it a hard disk in an enclosure that you put together or a store bought one?

Do other USB devices work properly in the same port?

brady1988

brady1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
like i said im not gonna install that pirate windows xp i was just saying what if i buy that kind of windows xp will that one fit into my system?
cus down there it says "
1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver "

so im guessing i can u se that one right ?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
You have enough as far as the processor and ram is concerned for the 32 bit version of XP. Can't see how much harddrive space is left and you should be able to upgrade the DirectX.

Murray