Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New disk and programs on old disk

• Please log in to reply

straygrey

straygrey

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I originally had a successful configuration on my C: drive with XP as the OS & .Net for developing programs.
This C: drive for some reason or other became unbootable and therefore I installed a new C: drive with Windows XP on it.
Now I have access to the old c: drive, now called e: and would appreciate being able to arrange that the programs on that disk be able to run from shortcuts on my current c: drive.
Please tell me how I can achieve this.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
not possible

straygrey

straygrey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I find it hard to believe that it cannot be done.
I can do it from Linux so find it hard to believe that I cannot do it from Windows.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it's not possible...you have to reinstall the applications that were installed on the old system...

when you install an application in windows it puts entries into the registry...the only exception to this are programs that just run without being installed

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

I find it hard to believe that it cannot be done.
I can do it from Linux so find it hard to believe that I cannot do it from Windows.

With all due respect there are lots of things you can do in Linux that you can't do in Windows.
I'm sure there's things you can do in Windows that you can't do in Linux.

Programs cannot be transferred from drive to drive under Windows since the program files that make up the program is only half or in some cases one third of the story. There are a handful of programs that are the exception to the rule but this practice is virtually unheard of.

The only way you'll get those programs working is by reinstallation from the original CDs.

straygrey

straygrey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the help guys.
I'll just have to, as you suggest, reinstall.
Here again with all due respect the only things that I have found that Windows does reasonably that Linux can't is computer games, but I am not getting into an argument about this.